This is a good discussion.

I believe there are many good bamboo rods and many good graphite rods. I wrote earlier that “At retail prices, the graphite rod is the most expensive rod you can own.” Palewatery disagreed, and that’s fine; each of us has his own experiences.

I will never own the top of the line bamboo rods, or the top of the line graphites, either. I also do not drive a Maserati to the stream. But I like serviceable and nice looking rods, so I have good, mid-range and home-made stuff. And a Buick, and an eleven year old Chevy pickup.

I assume that we buy rods to keep them and fish them, and not as investments. It’s true that there are a number of good graphite rods now, at modest prices. But if a rod doesn’t fill its intended purpose, much of the retail price is lost. Used graphite rods sell for a fraction of the new price.

I wrote earlier that I had put under $900 into my current collection of 12 bamboo rods. I have willing buyers in my community that would pay at least $4000 for the bunch. None of them are for sale, but I’m satisfied with the price I paid vs. the current value of these rods.