Such timing...Thanksgiving and all. Despite the fire, there is still a lot to be thankful for in that country. I have a feeling that after a few more years the fire landscape just may start to grow on us--both figuratively and literally. A friend of mine who fishes Yellowstone a bit, told me that the fishing was much improved after the big fire, there. I'm thinking that despite the extra burden the streams are carrying in their runoff, there is a chance that resting the streams for a year may lead to some pretty fine fishing over the next couple of years--particularly in one very special backcountry stream.

Glad you uncovered so many of the "best of times" out there this past summer.

In the first stream you mention, I once had one on that on first glance I was sure it was a nice carp and I relaxed---until I realized it was a BIG brown. Naturally, I went all kerfuffled resulting in a near instantaneous slack line. Life is full of harsh realities. I worked the hole many more times but so far have not had another close encounter. Someday.

In my opinion that last picture beneath the Presidentials reflects the perfect run....On first view, I immediately started to plan my cast and my arm started twitching. Thanks for the twitch--it'll keep me going until you next report. Quick now---it's starting to....fade....Need more trip reports.....stat!

BW