Thread: Hi From Colorado

Pete-G

Hi From Colorado

I've been looking for a forum like this forever. Small stream fishing is my passion, and it's the only type of fishing I do.

I'm 67 years old and retired. I moved from Calif. to Colorado to live out my days fly fishing the streams in the Rockies. I fish over 250 days a year in my streams. I'm always looking for new ones, but I have so many now that i'm not sure why I look anymore. I guess i'm looking for that perfect stream that nobody else knows about, but we all know it's just a dream. Dreams are good though. :D

I'm a traditionalist and fish a 7' bamboo rod, old English reel, sometimes silk line, and old style flies tied with natural materials. I like to think i'm fishing like my grandpa did. He loved fly fishing as much as I do. I fish for my own enjoyment and how I do it pleases me only. I never see another fisherman when i'm fishing anyway, so it better be for me. ;)

I look forward to reading your posts and sharing mine. I use a library computer, so posting pictures is a problem. Too bad, because I have some nice streams to show you. Maybe I can work it out somehow.

Re: Hi From Colorado

Welcome, Pete! I'm "adjusting" your access right now... :)

Pete-G

Thank you. Much better reading now. :D

Welcome Pete! "Bunie" is one of favorite places to visit in CO. Jealous! Was fortunate to be there for Mother's Day hatch a couple of years ago. Shop fellow put me "a day behind the hatch". Had solitude and great fishing.
    Dale

Welcome!

A few years ago, my wife had some work related business in Colorado Springs so I tagged along. I had never been to Colorado before so I decided a guide would be beneficial. We hit the Miracle Mile and Cheeseman Canyon. Great fishing. Very different than what I am used to in Michigan. Here you cover LOTS of water. There you pick the rising fish you are going to try to catch. I have never spent so much time fishing over one fish hoping for a bite. Had a blast though and caught lots of fish. The guide and I even had to hightail it one day due to a tornado. :shock: By the time we got to the truck it ran into the resivoir, turned into a really big waterspout, and then dissipated!

Garden of the Gods is AMAZING also! I will go back someday.

Pete-G

Quote Originally Posted by daleconnally
    Welcome Pete! "Bunie" is one of favorite places to visit in CO. Jealous! Was fortunate to be there for Mother's Day hatch a couple of years ago. Shop fellow put me "a day behind the hatch". Had solitude and great fishing.
    Dale
    Solitude during the caddis hatch? You were very lucky. ;) I live a 5 min walk from the Arkansas River and I hardly ever fish it. I enjoy the creeks up in the mountains more. Except for the bears. :shock:

Pete-G

Quote Originally Posted by soupmix
    Welcome!

A few years ago, my wife had some work related business in Colorado Springs so I tagged along. I had never been to Colorado before so I decided a guide would be beneficial. We hit the Miracle Mile and Cheeseman Canyon. Great fishing. Very different than what I am used to in Michigan. Here you cover LOTS of water. There you pick the rising fish you are going to try to catch. I have never spent so much time fishing over one fish hoping for a bite. Had a blast though and caught lots of fish. The guide and I even had to hightail it one day due to a tornado. :shock: By the time we got to the truck it ran into the resivoir, turned into a really big waterspout, and then dissipated!

Garden of the Gods is AMAZING also! I will go back someday.
    I like to move along too. I thought i'd try the Taylor at the dam. I was shocked to see everybody standing in one spot 4 ft apart all day hi sticking to monsters. The record there is a 40 1/2" brown. I caught some in the 20" range and never went back. That's not fishing to me. No matter how big the fish are. I love stalking smaller wild fish on creeks. I don't think you can catch big fish in Colorado without it being elbow to elbow. I guess i'm turning into a hermit in my old age.

Pete-G, welcome aboard.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.