Thread: Hello fom Vienna

Hello fom Vienna

Hi everybody,

Im an Englishman living in Vienna, Austria (Austrian wife). Ive enjoyed travelling around Austria for its great fishing but most of this is 2 hours or more drive away from home.

Ive now got a 3 year old boy and an 8 week daughter, so a 4 hour round trip is a luxury - instead Ive got a season ticket for a small stream which flows in the hills outside the city and takes half an hour to get to. It means Im able to make more, but shorter trips.

This will be my 3rd season on the river and Ive loved every minute so far. Its a 17km stretch with only 20 tickets available - in 2 seasons Ive only ever seen one other person fishing! Lots of wild rainbows and browns, plus some stocked fish which seem to overwinter well. My favourite time of year is May/ June before the 2 annual stockings, when I target the wild and grown-on fish. The average size is probably between 8 and 12 inches, with a few big oldies thrown in. The water is so shallow that 90 percent of fish are on the dry fly.

Best experience? Last August, early morning, when I finally hit it right with a few nice browns up to 20 inches. Worst experience? Falling backwards into a deep pool last March when there was still snow-melt in the water. It was a very cold walk back to the car...

Damian F

Re: Hello fom Vienna

Terrific! Can't wait to hear about the family and solo adventures!

We definitely need some photos...to see what the rest of us are missing. Lovely country.

Austria, beautiful country. Used to go Krnten every summer to visit family until I had to move to Canada a couple years ago (used to live in the U.K.). I also got to stay in Wien for a couple weeks, probably the cleanest city in the world. If I were to go back again I would probably bring my rod and go fish for some grayling and brown trout. Any way nice to already see someone from Austria considering I just joined.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.