Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Outing & Adventure in June - Who's in?

Re: Outing & Adventure in June - Who's in?

Chef, are the roads open now?

You have a 4 wheel drive, I have a city car that can make the trip when the roads are dry, the roads won't be dry but if there is no snow on the roads, maybe I can take M's Rav 4.

There are streams for me to fish if I can get to them without walking 20 miles.

:D

Please ask your contacts (Chief) if the roads are good back to the target. If I can get in, the odds are stacked that I can go...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

I was up on the Mogollon Rim last weekend and there is a lot of snow and standing water.

This is a couple of thousand feet lower than the area that the meet is intended.

In the next several weeks, we will have snow melting high temperatures...

Brooks, I will try to get up there to see what is going on.

If we can't meet you guys, looks like S.Brooks and I are going to pack up a valley and overnight on a stream.

Update

Rim Lakes

Black Canyon Lake is accessible by the Rim Road and FS 86 as of April 26. It should be stocked next week.

Chevelon Lake is accessible by the Rim Road and FS 169 (from either Winslow via Hwy 99, Heber via FS 504, or from the Woods Canyon Lake turnoff to the Rim Road) - Chevelon is not on the stocking schedule because we stock fingerlings and subcatchables only, but Chevelon has good winter carryover

Willow Springs Lake is accessible and was stocked this week. It is also on the schedule to be stocked next week also.

Woods Canyon Lake was not accessible as of yesterday, but the Forest was planning to remove the downed trees on the 105 road (road to lake) tomorrow April 30. It should be accessible for this weekend. It will not be stocked until late next week at the earliest.

Bear Canyon Lake is still not accessible. The 300 road is open to the 34 road, but not further than that. It will be a little bit longer for this to open.

Show Low-Pinetop

Fool Hollow, Show Low, Rainbow, Scott, Woodland are all accessible and stocked

Silver Creek has been stocked for a fishing clinic earlier this week. It goes onto the weekly stocking schedule next week as well.

Concho Lake is accessible and stocked

East Sector

Carnero Lake is still not accessible. Tyler checked it yesterday and there are still large snowdrifts preventing access to the lake. Plus the lake has winterkilled (based on very low oxygen levels). We will get it restocked as quickly as we can hatchery trucks to the lake (following our spring survey to confirm a winterkill).

Big Lake should be accessible this weekend via the Williams Valley road (FS 249) from Alpine. Hwy 261 and 273 are still closed. However, Big Lake is still frozen over.

Crescent Lake should be accessible this weekend via the Williams Valley road (FS 249) from Alpine. Hwy 261 and 273 are still closed. Plus, Crescent Lake is still frozen over and has winterkilled (based on very low oxygen levels). We will restock the lake as quickly as we can survey the lake to confirm a winterkill.

Lee Valley Lake is still no accessible. Hwy 273 is still closed at the Forest Boundary near Sunrise, plus the gate is locked from the south at Crescent Lake. Snowdrifts are likely still present between Crescent and Lee Valley. Lee Valley is likely still frozen and has experienced a winterkill (based on low oxygen levels). We will restock the lake as soon as we can get hatchery trucks to the lake (following our spring survey to confirm a winterkill).

Greer Lakes are all accessible and stocked.

Nelson Reservoir is accessible but not stocked yet. We need to wait until it stops spilling until we stock it.

Hulsey Lake is accessible but not stocked yet. We need to wait until the hillside dries out so the stocking truck does not get stuck or tear up the hillside in muddy conditions.

Luna Lake is accessible. Luna is not on the stocking schedule because we stock fingerling and subcatchables only. Luna does have winter carryover.

Ackre Lake is still inaccessible.

Streams

LCR Greer is accessible but will not be stocked until the week of May 10-14. The schedule shows that it will be stocked in the first week of May, however, all streams are flowing high right now and we are delaying the stocking due to the flows.

Sheeps Crossing is not accessible, and will not be stocked on the first week of May.

East Fork Black River is accessible from FS 26 (Beaverhead) or by the Williams Valley Road (FS 249 and FS 24). But the river is running high and will not be stocked on schedule. It will be stocked no sooner than the week of May 10-14.

West Fork Black River is accessible (see East Fork Black River and add FS 25).

Lee Valley Lake is still no accessible. Hwy 273 is still closed at the Forest Boundary near Sunrise, plus the gate is locked from the south at Crescent Lake. Snowdrifts are likely still present between Crescent and Lee Valley. Lee Valley is likely still frozen and has experienced a winterkill (based on low oxygen levels). We will restock the lake as soon as we can get hatchery trucks to the lake (following our spring survey to confirm a winterkill).

Sheeps Crossing is not accessible, and will not be stocked on the first week of May.
    From the West it is not looking good for a couple of weeks from your report.

Big Lake should be accessible this weekend via the Williams Valley road (FS 249) from Alpine. Hwy 261 and 273 are still closed. However, Big Lake is still frozen over.

East Fork Black River is accessible from FS 26 (Beaverhead) or by the Williams Valley Road (FS 249 and FS 24). But the river is running high and will not be stocked on schedule. It will be stocked no sooner than the week of May 10-14.

West Fork Black River is accessible (see East Fork Black River and add FS 25).
    Looks like access is from the East but as you get into the high country, you will have limited access.

Thanks for the report Chef.

Is the source from AZGF (stocking notes)?

We still have time and the sun is on our side for your date.

I'll give it my best shot to make it, S.Brooks is in the same situation as far as I can tell.

Looks like things are shaping up for an excellent fishing season.

awesome. so is anyone going to fish xmas tree lake on friday?

Chef?

We are getting close...

I just got a new sinking line :P to try out and a flip for vids!

Nice.

Christmas Tree Lake permits are sold out.

Temps for the area can be found by utilizing McNary, Greer and Springerville weather web sites. Sunrise Ski Area has an operating web camera that will show you what to expect in the snow department.

I m not sure what roads are still closed...

Brooks is looking for plan B lake on Friday. Some lakes have experienced winterkill due to low oxygen levels.

I will drive up beacoup early Sat a.m. Backpack overnight up a stream that night with Brooks fish a.m. and bail mid day.

Looks like we can slap five as we pass each other on the road to somewhere.

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/Fishing ... port.shtml

US Forest Service (Road Conditions) (928) 333-4372

From my iPhone.

I'll be there and will send you text/smoke signal or a sign.

cool...

Lil C, W. Fork or B-ville???

No idea.

I'll send a pm w/ #'s

From my iPhone.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.