Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For a Few Things and Your Thoughts...

Looking For a Few Things and Your Thoughts...

Looking to purchase: Price needs to be aggressively on the bargain side.

1) Nice blade - Military/Tactical like a Gerber similar to Bear's (M vs. Wild) although I know his is a one off custom build. 100 -150
    2) Military/Tactical Watch outdoors 100 - 200
    3) Walking GPS - open to price

Any feed would be great? :D

Re: Looking For a Few Things and Your Thoughts...

I don't have cable... Is the knife a fixed or folder? Fixed blades check out RAT cutlery. Folders, I'm very partial to Emerson, but there are lots of bargains to be had with CRKT and Gerber and the like. Rick Hinderer did some designs for Gerber that are sub-c-note, and his regular knives kick tail. I forget the names of them but could find em pretty easily.

Watch? G-Shock for digital, Seiko Black Monster for mechanical, but that is pushing up to just under 200.

GPS? I love my old Garmin 60CS, but the new ones eclipse it. Oregon series from Garmin are my new ideal...

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    Looking to purchase: Price needs to be aggressively on the bargain side.

1) Nice blade - Military/Tactical like a Gerber similar to Bear's (M vs. Wild) although I know his is a one off custom build. 100 -150
    2) Military/Tactical Watch outdoors 100 - 200
    3) Walking GPS - open to price

Any feed would be great? :D
    Find the GPS you want, let me know and I will get it for you. M's best friend is a programmer for Garmin and gets a major discount, like around 40% and it's no problem. Take the savings and purchase up or what ever.

Gus is good with the blade.

This one seems good: http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/p ... lade_Knife

This is the one I would really like to have: http://www.knifeworks.com/ratcutlerymod ... nedge.aspx
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Aloha Chef, for knives, I like benchmade. The fixed and folding knives are great. For a watch I use the Casio fisherman's watch. It is waterproof and tells you when the fish are biting. For GPS I took a class here and they gave me a Garmin Eclipse. I put all of our bouys in it and it is a great little hand held unit. Half of the fun of gettint these toys is shopping around check out the benchmade trout fixed blade and the Griptilan folder. Mems.

Thanks guys good stuff! I have a Benchmade "Venom" that I've had for over 12 years for every day use. I'm going for a military tactical fixed blade of dual purpose meaning serrated as well. High carbon steel and quality of the blade is what I'm after at a good price.

I'll throw more pennies into the gum ball machine to hopefully pay for a few of these in the coming months.

Chef

Thanks guys good stuff! I have a Benchmade "Venom" that I've had for over 12 years for every day use. I'm going for a military tactical fixed blade of dual purpose meaning serrated as well. High carbon steel and quality of the blade is what I'm after at a good price.
    RAT cutlery is one of the best IMHO.

Anything Garmin is good. Go with a model that has all the features you will need.

For a watch I will add another vote for a Casio. They are tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mems
    Aloha Chef, for knives, I like benchmade. The fixed and folding knives are great. Half of the fun of gettint these toys is shopping around check out the benchmade trout fixed blade and the Griptilan folder. Mems.
    Benchmades are good tools. Have had a few over the years (okay, like 30...) and they will do you right, but NEVER pay retail for them... They aren't worth that (some knives are.)

So, are you looking for a fixed blade or a folder?

I'm going for a military tactical fixed blade of dual purpose meaning serrated as well. High carbon steel and quality of the blade is what I'm after at a good price.
    Chef
    I think either a RC4 or the RC5 would meet his needs. Depends on how stout a blade he wants.

Totally.

I'm going for a military tactical fixed blade of dual purpose meaning serrated as well. High carbon steel and quality of the blade is what I'm after at a good price.
    Chef, I know you know knives but why serrations?

They are hard to maintain and take up the sweet spot of the blade.

I can see it if you are looking to cut nylon but if you have a sharp edge, that will cut nylon just as easy.

I have a couple of knives with them, not my favorites by any means.

Can you enlighten me (or anyone else) on why you like serrations?
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.