Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new way

A new way

I tend to get in ruts and stay there.Mostly,I think, because I believe in the old adage "If it ain't broke,don't fix it."
    For quite some time I thought I had all the fly tying things I needed and didn't pay attention to new stuff.The other day I came across this video on a bobbin and thought I should get one for several reasons. One being that I've gotten back into fly tying again and two being that I use a fly tying bobbin to put the guides on bamboo rods with silk thread instead of using a rod wrapper.
    So my question for you guys is: Are any of you using this bobbin and is it worth getting one.
    All comments appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Will

http://moldychum.vodspot.tv/

Check out the video on the Ekich Automatic Bobbin

mikeytwoshoes

Re: A new way

will - that bobbin has intrigued me ever since it came on the scene. a beautiful design no doubt.
    the price of the bobbin is prohibitive though. no way I can rationalize buying it.

and fwiw, I also wrap guides w/ a bobbin. it just works for me. far better than any tensioning device I've encountered or fashioned. nice to know that I'm not the only one.

I've always wanted one as well but like Mikey can't afford one when standard ones seem to do the job just fine as well.

I am in the same boat with you guys. I got to tie with one at a FFF event and really enjoyed it, but not for a $100. I have since seen it as low as $80, but until they get below the $50 mark, I won't even think about it. I thought I was getting crazy when I paid $22 for a Rite Bobbin. I like those for tying my deer hair flies, it gives me a little more grip when flaring the hair. Can do the same with any bobbin, but fits my hand better.

I really like renzetti bobbins and they go for about 20 bucks a piece. I'd rather buy 5 more of those then the Ekich

Quote Originally Posted by Kollman
    I am in the same boat with you guys. I got to tie with one at a FFF event and really enjoyed it, but not for a $100. I have since seen it as low as $80, but until they get below the $50 mark, I won't even think about it. I thought I was getting crazy when I paid $22 for a Rite Bobbin. I like those for tying my deer hair flies, it gives me a little more grip when flaring the hair. Can do the same with any bobbin, but fits my hand better.

I thought I was buying a wonderful thing when I bought a Timeco bobbin for $45 - it has been a problem which eventually came right, but have seen better bobbins for the same price if not a $1 cheaper in some cases. But I'm with you Kollman, I could not justify paying such a large amount for one.

Jeanne

Thanks for the comments guys. The video didn't mention the price nor could I find it on the website.I posted the question before doing any other research on the bobbin.Had I known that they were $100 :shock: I wouldn't even have bothered.That's rediculous for a bobbin.I thought that they would probably be a little pricey but it sure ain't justified in my book. :crazy:
    Will

Will,

I bought a Nor-vise a few years ago and the bobbin that comes with it is not bad. I don't know how the Ekich Bobbin stacks up to the $50 bobbin from Nor-vise but here's link. He comes to shows around the country so if you can find one where he's going to be you can check it out for yourself. The $50 kit comes with 3 extra spools.
    http://www.nor-vise.com

Thanks Rick, I'll check that one out.
    Will

mikeytwoshoes

gosh - since it's only $50 you can get two!
    not me though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.