Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best stick?

flytyer187

Re: Your best stick?

Well, I was a sage guy for along time. I also prefer bigger rivers over ss's I got a HARDY Marksman #5 9' 4 piece
    WOW WOW WOW
    never buy a sage again

Not only does this thing cost less than sage , but way sex reel seat, best action I've ever known, the blank is so cool
    My 2 pennies

For me it's gotta be my little Sage TXL 6'3" 3 wt, it's about as thick as a match and weighs nothing!
    Or is it my Orvis Superfine 6' 2 wt?
    Can't decide :D

Ade.

My current favorite is my 13' TenkaraUSA Ayu but I have a feeling that will change in time as new Tenkara rods come to market either from TenkaraUSA or other sources. Right now I'm content with what I have. We'll see. Adam has me psyched about the new Premium Tenkara rod he is planning on getting from Japan.

Randy

wrm0325

Hey guys,
    My first post. Looking forward to spending a lot of time here.

My fave rod for the SS used to be my Winston IM6, 2 pc for 3wt. Incredibly smooth and a joy to cast.

However, that was until I was in Manchester, VT approx 8 yrs ago and cast a couple of cane rods by Jim Becker. Both were two pc, one 4 wt and one 2 wt.

What can I say. I finally started fishing them last year, and I cannot fish graphite again. And not just because the cane rods are so smooth and effortless. To me, they're more accurate and far better at dampening the forward cast and laying little s curves on the surface, which is a necessity for the type of fishing I do. They may be small streams, but they're hooked up to resovoirs that hold large very wary trout that move into these streams. In addition, the cane does a far better job with the 8x I have to use, and pulls out the 26-32 hooks less. Just far more give in the tip.

The 2 wt is my favorite, and I will fish that until the wind makes me cry mercy, and then I'll pull out the 4 wt.

Just my two cents

Bill

wcb

My favourite rod last year was a Scott G2 7ft 7" 2#
    I found that i could use it most of the time even when it was quite windy.
    I have discovered cane over the winter and have a Bannister 7ft 4# made for me which has blown me away.
    Tim Harris is finishing a build for me as we speak and its a 6ft 3#.
    Looking forward to playing with them over the summer.
    T

Looking forward to playing with the "cane" on the Monnow social this year Toby?
    The Honddu would be a nice place to Christen it?

Ade.

WCB, I am with you. I have been a Scott fan for a long time and have a nice collection of S3 rods, but finally got ahold of a G2 4wt that has filled the void I was missing with my S3. Love the cast of that slower action and great for dry fly presentation on slower streams or when I am fighting big fish.

FlyKS

Fiberglass is where it's at! I fish a Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt Honey, built by Mike Briganti of Prairie Drifter Rods. It is a sweetheart in that it bends to the cork while casting, throws everything from a WF3F to a WF5F, including DT3 and DT4 with aplomb. I like it with my SA XPS WF4F and Pflueger 1494 (Chinese currently, picking up a DA this Monday)

The rod has more power than its uber slow action would imply and it will easily toss #8 BH buggers and #22 dry flies.

smallstreams.com plankowner

Sage LL 356-2 Hardy Flywt SA 4WF xps.

Finally broke my grass Tenkara rod from 1985 and just replaced it with an Iwana 5:5. Haven't fished it yet ... great in the living room ... Will try her out as soon as the streams thaw ... feels like it may become my best stick.

While its relatively new to my arsenal - Steve Kiley's 7' 4wt is a really sweet casting rod and probably my current favorite (aside from the rod on my bench :D )

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.