Thread: catching up

Threaded View

We did meet didn't we Mems?

I've been watching him here, catching all those fish over the years. I actually fished the place where we meet before and was quite successful. But this time? Not so much. Mems caught fish and lots of them. The first time I saw him, I was like, "what is that?" I could see him, it was pointing at him, the sea.

He is a class act for sure. He showed me how it was done and then feed me.

I had not cast a rod and reel in years but there I was, I fell back into the rhythm pretty quickly. Fixed line casting actually helped me with my casting. I had bought a NRX and a beautiful Nautilus reel, custom color, rocking set up. I sold it when I got home.

I am back to no fly reels.

I've fished a 8-weight once and it was awesome but I think I'm done with fly fishing for now, no disrespect to anyone, I have a badass bamboo rod(s) that I've made and when I return or if I return, it will be with my boys, the one doesn't have a fish on it yet.

mkmatheson, I've been twice now, once to visit satoshi, a member here. We had an epic time: http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/2017/0...anese-fly.html My next trip was there was to visit other friends: http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/2017/0...trip-2016.html I have loose plans to take the family back in 2018 for a week in Tokyo then send them back home and I'll spend an additional week with someone fishing in the mountains somewhere. I like it around Takayama and farther northeast towards Tadami. I've caught the three indigenous trout there, Amago, Yamame and Iwana (a couple of types) on a single pattern. The last trip I only caught Iwana, I went hiking up a headwater stream and camped with some pretty cool people.

Oh, you would not believe the equipment I took with me. I have this insane little rod, it's tiny, like a toy, actually the kit is three rods, a 2.7m, 3.6m and 4.5m rods that fold up to 9" long. The 3.6m rod has 20 sections. Twenty telescoping tube pieces and it is super light and strong. The tip section is like a mechanical pencil lead. The whole kit, my fly box bag and rods will fit in a water bottle pocket of a backpack with room for the water bottle. I just carry those three lengths of rod and I'm set for tight to wide open. Fly selection is minimal so I carry about what, 2 to 3 dozen total of about 3 or 4 patterns in a couple of different sizes, (when I am in Japan) done like dinner. I carry about a dozen flys at home.

Now I throw this kit in my bag where ever I go, I've caught so many opportunity fish now, it's crazy. http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/2017/0...ective-to.html

Japan is a cultural trip first, fishing second.

Tenkara, fly fishing, what ever, it doesn't matter. I interviewed some big name authors about it and they dig it and do it too. I just wanted to get good at it so I did what I do with anything (like bamboo rod making) and just dove in head first and figured it out all the way back to the Japanese and some of the people that have made it their life.

It's fishing, fly fishing, no less, know more.
    Last edited by adam; 03-04-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.