I used to carry a Hardy "Brook" Bag, but now I'm apt to carry a backpack as detailed above. I am now using a ultra-light pack, less than a pound, mostly made of high tech spectra, kevlar and other strong, light fabric. Because my time is limited, when I fish, I'm hiking much much more and am moving towards overnighting onstream. Out of my pockets is my favorite, been writing about it for years but at this time I must say, I'm more apt to use a back pack. S.Brooks suggestion looks good although I don't really like a vest, that's the sort I could fathom.

Anyway, I'll probably be carrying two rods with me this season, a Tenkara rod and a pack fly rod. I've never done that before but the pack will allow it no problem. This down season, I've really been focusing on my kit, minimalist but so efficient, I spent some time on it and the people I meet doing the research all had pretty much the same ideas about what to carry. I'll be carrying a little survival kit as well. I hope that I never need it but do plan on using some items out of it to keep current.

One of my things to do is to find a spot to pitch the solo tent, three or four miles from the road and fish around the area out of my pockets. One meal of my wild trout, some spirits, pounding a little djembe to the tune of Apache Mountain songs, way high in the mountains...

Really stoked about fishing this year.