Quote Originally Posted by palewatery
Don't own anything other than fly rods, not a judgement just a personal choice for fun reasons.
All good the way I see it.

I started out with a cane pole, moved to spin casting then spin fishing and fly fishing.

In the old days of smallstreams.com, we had a few of us who were spin fishers. They mostly lurked as they do now but some were active. They talked of using de-barbed single hooks. In some cases, a spin rod will out perform a fly rod, it's rare but there are situations. Without going off track...

I use a spin and cast in the salt when the fish are few and far between. I can cast 90 yards with my Calcutta and Terramar set up, that's about 270' of water covered in one cast. In that one cast, I can cover much efficient and stealthy than I can with a fly rod. When the fish are in, I'm fly rodding. That's the only situation where I fish other than fly and tenkara.

Bamboo and wood came before plastics. You can make a bamboo rod that will perform all as well as a plastic rod. Bamboo is beautiful, that's my choice, a bamboo fly rod that I've made or a friend has made...

Tenkara gets a telescoping graphite construction because you will be hard pressed to top the attributes of a carbon graphite telescoping tenkara rod, it is near perfection as is a bamboo rod but in a different way.

People who are passionate about fishing will find there way, quietly, to bamboo at some point.

I've seen this many many times.