I'm checking in.

I'm glad the place is still going and you guys are keeping the faith.

I'm into Tenkara now for about 8 years. Been researching the roots of it, interviewed many that do it, have been to Japan twice now on mountain fishing adventures. Going to give a presentation in Estes Park this year at the Tenkara Summit. Haven't found a stream yet where shooting line would be superior to a fixed line. My shortest rod is 2.7m, longest is 8m with a 12m line. I've fished one fly in many different states and in Japan and caught fish, just as many as if I matched the hatched.

I've learned so much about fishing in the last few years, but I would not have learned so much if it wasn't for a good foundation with fly fishing.

I tie way more but far fewer patterns, most are very simple thread and feather patterns and I've actually designed my own fly. It's funny, I use a hook designed for bait fishing!

I learned how to bait fish with Japanese gear. It is so effective, so super mega effective, I promised myself NEVER to do it again unless I wanted to harvest fish for a meal.

Japanese techniques are thought out well and the gear is highly refined.

I miss this place and reference it all the time. It's twenty years old now and I often think of how it started, "Arizona Small Stream Fly Fishing" then to "smallstreams."

I exchange e-mails with Gerard, I visit Chef now and then, Brooks and I have some trips planned this summer, Ted and I have meet once or twice, not sure how much he fishes...

It would be nice to see the owners of the site, who ever they are pay a little attention to you guys and promote your beautiful stories to the front page. But I'm realizing, it doesn't really matter, it's about the people here that read them.

I'll check in now and then, hope you all are doing well.

Getting older, priorities change, take care.