Thread: Steavenson River Marysville Victoria Australia

Fry

Steavenson River Marysville Victoria Australia

G'Day from OZ,

About a week ago I fished another stretch of the Steavenson River near Marysville. I usually wade the part in and above the town which narrows up quickly and becomes difficult to fish due to the heavy stream side vegetation. This new, to me, stretch flowed through farmland and was wider and casting was much easier. Beautiful piece of water. I fished a bead head nymph under a Royal Humpy and got many hits from trout, mostly on the nymph as far as I could see. I landed one small rainbow trout but briefly hooked and lost 4 or 5 others. I think I can put this down to the 5/6wt outfit that I was using that is a bit too stiff. I have a better landing rate with a little 6’6″ 3/4wt rod that I usually use. Although I only landed and released the one trout, it was a really fine days fishing and I can see me returning to this spot in the very near future.

Haven't posted anything for a while. Hope this works!
    Cheers,

Steve.

Aloha, nice looking water and a fine bow. What island are you on north or south? I will have to get down there one day, Mems.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Aloha, nice looking water and a fine bow. What island are you on north or south? I will have to get down there one day, Mems.
    G'Day Mems,
    Glad you like the water and little rainbow trout. Most of the trout I hooked that day were small but I'm sure there would be larger trout in that lovely stretch of water.
    I live in Victoria which is in southeastern Australia not New Zealand. A simple mistake. For a while I thought some provinces of Canada were states of the USA!
    I hope you can make your way downunder, either to Australia or New Zealand. Just as I'd like to visit the USA again but next time with a fly outfit in my suitcase. I'd really like to fish for native brook trout some day.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Fry
    Great little river! (All fish are beautiful. That one just happens to be well above the average!) My nephew and his family live in West Wodonga and keep inviting us down. If it weren't for the price of airfare, you would be running into me on the river every December through March!

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by 51BC View Post
    Great little river! (All fish are beautiful. That one just happens to be well above the average!) My nephew and his family live in West Wodonga and keep inviting us down. If it weren't for the price of airfare, you would be running into me on the river every December through March!
    Maybe sometime in the future you will be able to pick up a discounted airfare to OZ and you can visit your nephew and family. There's some really nice rivers in the NE of Victoria--the Kiewa and the Ovens to name just two, which aren't that far from Wodonga. Haven't fished those areas since I was a kid, when we used to go camping, fishing and rabbit hunting in the area.
    If you get over here I'd be happy to take you out on the Steavenson or a few other streams in my locality.

Cheers,
    Steve.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Great session spod, always enjoy seeing other's small streams & speckled inhabitants.

Maybe mems was referring to Tassie as the south island & mainland Australia as the North Island. ...just pulling your leg.
    Good post.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
    Out & about....looking for trout.
    https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Nah I just didn't read the address on the side. If I go that way I would most likely go to New Zealand for trout and Australia for surf and saltwater fish. Mems.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Nah I just didn't read the address on the side. If I go that way I would most likely go to New Zealand for trout and Australia for surf and saltwater fish. Mems.
    You would enjoy surf fishing as well as other salt water fishing here in OZ. Tailor and Australian Salmon ( a type of sea perch not real salmon) or kahawai as the Kiwis call them are common catches in the surf along with flathead, mullet, whiting and sharks. I used to lure fish for salmon and tailor and if a school came by it would be fast and furious fishing. Trout fishing in New Zealand--now that's something we all want to do at some time. Trout fishing in Tasmania can be pretty good too. Incidentally, there are small populations of introduced brook trout in that state along with the more widely distributed browns and rainbows. Also the locals sometime fish for real salmon whenever there are mass escapes from the estuary salmon farms usually when a pack of seals gets into one of the netted enclosures. The Derwent and Huon estuaries are where this occurs.
    I hope you get down here some day.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Great session spod, always enjoy seeing other's small streams & speckled inhabitants.

Maybe mems was referring to Tassie as the south island & mainland Australia as the North Island. ...just pulling your leg.
    Good post.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
    Glad you like the post. Didn't you post something about catching brook trout in NSW a while ago? All my brook trout quests have been wild goose chases!
    Cheers,
    Steve.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spod View Post
    Glad you like the post. Didn't you post something about catching brook trout in NSW a while ago? All my brook trout quests have been wild goose chases!
    Cheers,
    Steve.
    Yes I did...seems a long time ago now though.
    I think the Gaden Trout Hatchery in NSW still produces Brookies that are stocked in a few dams,
    but Brookies in creeks & streams are few & far between.
    Out & about....looking for trout.
    https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.