Thread: Shenandoah Trip October 2014

Shenandoah Trip October 2014

We spent several days in Shenandoah National Park in October. We hiked and walked and fished, and every step was wonder. This was my first time visiting this wild place and I'm sorry I waited so long to do so. The Blue Ridge mountains were just coming into color, and while many of the trees were showing their beauty others were still in late summer dress. The streams were on the low side but still very fishable. I soon learned that the wild brook trout were in super wariness mode. Total stealth was an absolute requirement.

One could spend hours just taking in mother natures paintings. Tossing a fly would be an addition, and having a wild brook trout rise to it would truly grace the trip.

Beautiful waterfalls were dotted through out the hikes. Though the water level was thin it blossomed into a deep pool at the base. It is here that the brook trout was to be found.

As I approached this pool I could see brook trout. At the tail several trout could be seen rising, to what I could not determine. In such cases I always choose to drift an ant, this time was no different and a size 14 black ant went to work. It did not drift long, soon it met a violent end. A brook trout rose and struck. The fish put a desperate fight to gain freedom but eventually loose his battle.

I placed my hand into the stream and slid it under one of natures finest creations. A wild jewel from a Shenandoah stream. Its colors to rival anything in the natural world. I held him for a brief photo and he soon headed for the deep spot in the pool.
    I have fished for and have caught brook trout all over New England, New York state and Pennsylvania but I have never taken brook trout as beautiful as I did in Shenandoah.

More to come......

Brk Trt
    Last edited by BrkTrt; 02-09-2015 at 02:13 PM.

The Rose and the Rapidan, fun creeks to fish. Mems

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    Thanks for that---I've managed to fish a few times in that park. Always fun--and you captured it. The first time, I couldn't seem to catch anything until I finally went into full sneak mode and crawled up to a pool from behind a rock. I stayed behind the rock and only exposed the very tip of my rod--and kind of Tenkara'd my fly. No problem after that--they were eager to eat but as you say--super wary.

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    The Rose and the Rapidan, fun creeks to fish. Mems
    One of the streams I fished was a tributary to the Rose.

Brk Trt

Quote Originally Posted by ksbioteacher View Post
    Thanks for that---I've managed to fish a few times in that park. Always fun--and you captured it. The first time, I couldn't seem to catch anything until I finally went into full sneak mode and crawled up to a pool from behind a rock. I stayed behind the rock and only exposed the very tip of my rod--and kind of Tenkara'd my fly. No problem after that--they were eager to eat but as you say--super wary.
    I was taught a lesson in stealth very quickly by those brookies.

Brk Trt

I notice you got the brookie on a floating black ant. I found a bead head black ant with rubber legs that was awesome on the trout in the SNP. A grey beetle fly also is a good choice. I think Murry's flyshop had them both. I still have some black ants and they rock on feeder creeks in Montana. Wet wading up stream is the way to go. Thanks for the picture, Mems.

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    I notice you got the brookie on a floating black ant. I found a bead head black ant with rubber legs that was awesome on the trout in the SNP. A grey beetle fly also is a good choice. I think Murry's flyshop had them both. I still have some black ants and they rock on feeder creeks in Montana. Wet wading up stream is the way to go. Thanks for the picture, Mems.
    Murray's shop is quite the place, as is Harry. There's a good bar-b-que next door....some great sausage.

Brk Trt

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Wow, look at those vibrant colours....
    Love the golden spots on a bronze background, red & orange hues,
    plus the flick of white on the fins...just gorgeous.
    Out & about....looking for trout.
    https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Wow, look at those vibrant colours....
    Love the golden spots on a bronze background, red & orange hues,
    plus the flick of white on the fins...just gorgeous.
    In this anglers opinion there's nothing more spectacular in the natural world then a male brook trout in its Autumn colors.
    I'm with you on the white tipped fins. They say they are a remnant from the last ice age.

Brk Trt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.