Thread: Vintage fly rod info

Question Vintage fly rod info

Like most fly rodders I collect gear and a few weeks ago searching through a newly opened second hand shop found a very torn and tattie rod sock. Inside was a fly rod in almost pristine condition. Fifteen dollars changed hand and the prize was mine.

Now comes the puzzle! This rod is made by DAM Germany however they can offer no information as to age or history so if anyone out there can help I should be most grateful. Searching the web (especially European web sites and forums) has found nothing at all. I suspect it is from the 1940/50 era.

Following is the description:
    Solid fibreglass blank painted pale green metallic. Length 2.2 m or 7 ft 2 inches. Agate stripping and tip guides, "Bells" intermediates. Binding are red silk with black painted trim. On the butt is hand written "Schroiclach" Nr 80, below is the number 46682. Below this and above the hook keeper is the old DAM transfer. in the top of the sock is also a DAM embroidered label.

For those interested it casts a 5 or 6 wt DT line with excellent accuracy and ease to distances of 18 m and handles bow and arrow cast well. My thinking is that it will despite the weight being a bit on the heavy side it will make a great wee rod for small streams and has the added advantage of being just about unbreakable. The action is very similar to split cane slow action rod of similar size that takes a 4 WT line.

I await with eager anticipation being able to fish with it when the New Zealand trout season opens on October the 1st on my favourite small stream.

I contacted DAM first off and they have no records that far back it would seem. I also asked if there were any old timers still working who might remember and got a reference to Conaghans in NZ; No reply as yet.

Clark's Classic Fly Rod Forum.

I'm not a big fan but there are a bunch of crusty old guys that might be able to help you.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

At long last! I finally found an old-timer dealer who remembered this rod. Only a few came into New Zealand in the 40's and they took years to sell through the retailers and were listed until the mid 50's. On examination he remembered it well especially the weight as compared with the carbon of today. His comment was that he was not at all surprised at it's survival as they were almost indestructible. He also said that with the advent of hollow glass these became so redundant that many would have ended up as garden stakes.
    In conclusion I have used this little gem from yesteryear and find it very similar to cane in action (A Little Hardies "Gem" springs to mind) and on opening day proved it's worth by taking a 3 1/2 lb brown from a tangle of briar and willow stump on my favourite small spring creek. It is very comforting to know that no matter what diabolical hoop you put into it or what heavy brush you crawl through this rod won't break!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.