It seems hard for me to find open head water creeks to fish in the Rocky Mountains. Most of the headwaters I locate are brushy and almost impossible to fish. Every now and then I luck up on one like Im writing about. This creek is in a big open meadow. Cows graze the area, but the leasee has kept the cows from damaging the stream and stream banks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5209.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	543

This meadow creek is 4 wide at its widest. It averages about 2-3 feet in width. In many areas the grass from the banks overhangs the water and makes it impossible to put a fly in those spots. However for the most part with care one can put a fly into most of the fishable water. The creek has under cut the banks, so many of the fish are hiding along the edges of the cut banks.

Name:	IMGP5208.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	544

The fish are mostly small. There are about 80% brookies and 20% cutthroats. There are a very few browns mixed in. The fish average about 7, but there are some occasional fish up to 12. These are monster fish in a tiny creek like this.

Name:	IMGP5202.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	545

I spent 3 hours working this jewel. I saw 3 vehicles drive along the road by the stream while I was there. Thankfully no one even slowed to consider fishing this gem.

Name:	IMGP5204.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	546

you can see a youtube video of this creek at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5og...yer_detailpage