Thread: Small stream fishing in Colorado

Small stream fishing in Colorado

It seems hard for me to find open head water creeks to fish in the Rocky Mountains. Most of the headwaters I locate are brushy and almost impossible to fish. Every now and then I luck up on one like I’m writing about. This creek is in a big open meadow. Cows graze the area, but the leasee has kept the cows from damaging the stream and stream banks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5209.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	543

This meadow creek is 4’ wide at its widest. It averages about 2-3 feet in width. In many areas the grass from the banks overhangs the water and makes it impossible to put a fly in those spots. However for the most part with care one can put a fly into most of the fishable water. The creek has under cut the banks, so many of the fish are hiding along the edges of the cut banks.

Name:	IMGP5208.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	544

The fish are mostly small. There are about 80% brookies and 20% cutthroats. There are a very few browns mixed in. The fish average about 7”, but there are some occasional fish up to 12”. These are monster fish in a tiny creek like this.

Name:	IMGP5202.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	545

I spent 3 hours working this jewel. I saw 3 vehicles drive along the road by the stream while I was there. Thankfully no one even slowed to consider fishing this gem.

Name:	IMGP5204.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	546

you can see a youtube video of this creek at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5og...yer_detailpage

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    Very nice kipper--I truly love those meadow streams as well. I usually hike to them though.

"Meadow streams" are what we don't have in Japan, and what I wish to fish.
    It's amazing that such a small stream holds that many fish of different species.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Nice outing kipper......

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    "Meadow streams" are what we don't have in Japan, and what I wish to fish.
    It's amazing that such a small stream holds that many fish of different species.
    Then you will be happy fishing with me my friend, this is one of my favorite types of stream. We will fish in AZ, winding meadow streams that have three types, four types of trout and then go to Colorado and catch other species. Then to Utah or California...

But you must give me the times so I can make sure to get the time off.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

you're very lucky to have access to that water it looks awesome. just the type of fishing I like. fishing a sub-zero rod and line and small flies on that would be amazing. tough on the knees though, I would imagine.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    We will fish in AZ, winding meadow streams that have three types, four types of trout and then go to Colorado and catch other species. Then to Utah or California...
    I would hate to mislead either of you good lads...

The only meadows with trout in CA are in NoCal.
    There are a few meadows here abouts but they are populated by tiny golden little feesh. Not worth the effort of going after at all. Utah is the best (IMHO) chance of getting what you're looking for.
    However...fishing season closes in about a month here and it will be a painful month for catching whatever kind of fish these are (could be Golden Bass! ((very exoctic)) then everything freezes. Hell, it's cold now! How those little fookers survive the fall, winter, spring, is beyond my comprehension. Season opens again last Saturday in April, but I won't be able to get you back into a meadow with Golden bass, browns and Rainbows until at least mid-June at the earliest. Snowy still and soggy.

Yep...best to go to Utah.

Luv
    Shay

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.