Thread: Why We Fish....

Hybrid View

I enjoyed the story.

all good

BW,

A thought provoking essay, "Why We Fish. . ." I believe that everyone should be an accomplished amateur at something, as an escape from the pressures of earning a living and other daily stress, and fishing works for some of us.

I'm a little different from you, I think, in the depth of passion for the sport. I live in trout country. I can go trout fishing just about any day I want, and while it never gets old, I'm years past the stage of "passion." Trout fishing is not just something that I do, it is also who I am.

Yesterday morning I did the morning barn chores, had breakfast with my wife, had a good time fishing in a stream in the next county, and was home in time for lunch. I had a pretty good morning, fishing a 6'9" 3wt cane rod given to me by a friend. I caught over a dozen trout, both brookies and browns. None of them were small ones. I fished a brushy, swampy stretch that no one else wants to mess with. The last boot tracks on the bank were mine, from the last time I fished this stretch, about three weeks ago.

I enjoy trout fishing, bu there are other things I enjoy almost as much. A long hike through the fall woods with my 20 gauge, looking for grouse. Cross country skiing on a trail I made around the perimeter of our property. Working for half a day with a good riding or driving horse. I don't describe it as a passion, but more a deep satisfaction.

No doubt, though, that trout fishing is a important part of keeping us sane and happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions