Thread: Miwa-san and Adam at Nagawa

Miwa-san and Adam at Nagawa

We caught Iwana but Miwa-san out fished me with his Western Dry Fly technique while I used Tenkara.

More pictures to come but Japan has small streams and they are beautiful...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

[envious beyond belief]

Awesome!

Alevin
    I don't see any pictures?

Soon, I will use the gallery function. Miwa-san will jump in too.

I have been asked by Miwa-san to not post pictures. He will post the story of our trip. I am in Tokyo on the second phase of my adventure in Japan. I am going shopping for Japanese felt sole boots. I am tired of slipping and I need a climbing type felt sole. I may buy some stream cleats too. I don't know, I'm going shopping. I will be taken to Mt. Fuji area for fishing and sight seeing today or tomorrow.

I have been accepted by Masami Sakakibara as a student, I am now one of Team Oni. This I hold in high regards. I am learning Masami's way of Tenkara. I can only tell you that after many many years of fly fishing small streams that I am in awe of his and Miwa-sans stream skills.

The Japanese are very keen anglers, I know.

Soooooo jealous right now! Sounds like you're having one heck of an experience. I look forward to hearing about the details when we hit the stream together.

Of course!

I am back now, it is too soon to talk about fishing, maybe in a couple of weeks?

I learned a lot of things on my trip to Japan, I learned that the Japanese are as a whole are a fishing nation. Fishing is everywhere, the best fly shop I have ever seen was in the middle/downtown Tokyo.

Japan anglers are very very skilled. I watched Nahuji-san (and Satoshi) do things with a fly line that were amazing. The streams they fish are pristine and un-traveled. Moss is everywhere, the water has the beautiful colors and the bottom is super slick. You had to walk in the stream, the sides of the valley were so steep here and there.

I learned a lot of things, many many things and I will take them home but one of the most important things that I learned, I took to Japan. My Tenkara works and I am doing well. I used one pattern the whole trip and caught four kinds of fish, Iwana, Yamame, Amago (one small one at Momosawa) and a few Rainbow, all on a Tenkara pattern of my design. I did not fly fish nor did I take any western gear. I fished Tenkara and I was guided by very talented fly fishermen.

Satoshi Miwa is one of the best fly anglers and outdoorsmen that I have ever had the pleasure to fish with. He is an ambassador of Japan, a kind and warm person. Nahuji-san is the Master Fly Angler ever. He designed and built a fly fishing lodge, guides, ties, makes bamboo rods, a complete fly angler, the best I have ever meet.

I have meet a lot of master fly anglers, he tops them all. I doubt I will ever meet someone as talented, ever.

smallstreams.com plankowner
    I'm happy for you, that you had such a wonderful and meaningful experience, along with the opportunity to meet and get to know Satoshi in person!

I look forward to reading more about it in due time.

Walt

Waiting, he will do it.

He is busy with work, fishing is important to him as he is busy when he is at work.

It was interesting, I fished Tenkara, he fly fished. I'm still blown away by that. He took me to meet my Master, he was definitely interested in seeing Masami...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.