Thread: Dad's First Bonefish

Dad's First Bonefish

Bonefish found in the inner islands of the Seychelles rarely swim in shoals and do not swim in shoals of hundreds (and definitely not in shoals of thousands). They are educated – they do not simply eat anything and have been known to refuse a perfectly good Charlie that worked just yesterday. And catching Bonefish in the inner islands takes patience, effort and hard work.

They can be downright enigmatic.

Dad didn’t get one on his trip here in 2004. He’s been visiting for three weeks and has been practising his double haul and perfecting presenting a heavily weighted Charlie on a #9 as if it were a dry fly on #3.

Yesterday we had a early mission to the Grand Anse flats on Praslin. The goal was to find the bones or Golden Trevally that quietly inhabit these flats. The tide wasn’t perfect, the breeze was a little strong and , although they were around, the Bonefish weren’t exactly calling us over to join them for breakfast.

It took awhile before we found three big fish feeding tacitly in the shallows. They were moving left to right between us and the beach. The cast that needed to be made was fairly long and straight into the wind.

Dad – a trout fisherman by birth and life has only recently bothered to get to grips with double hauling a nine weight – swore before his first cast even landed. Luckily it was behind the last fish and made no difference to the body language of the three feeding fish. He went into trout stalk mode. I don’t I could have moved around the flats like he did. Obviously the years of stalking brown trout on rock strewn streams and rivers made moving across the sand a pretty straight forward procedure.
    Suddenly there was a lot less distance to cover and the wind, although across his casting shoulder, was far less of an obstacle. The pink Charlie looped out and landed with a plop.

Strip, strip, INSIDE!

Textbook hookup and the rest was simple. A few burning runs and eventually he was tailed.

I’m not sure if Dad could choose between solemnity or biggest smile ever in which to mark the occasion.

At 60 he has at last come of salt water fly fishing age.

from feathersandfluoro.com

Now that is awesome.

I wish my Dad fished...

Thank you for sharing.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

way too cool. thanks for the post. That is on my bucket list. Hope I make it there before 60 but at least I know I have ten years still to go.

DD

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar
    Man, that flat brings back some memories. :) Did you find any permit? In years past, we've had plenty of fun with them, albeit small ones, in the area close to the pier and near the Indian Ocean Lodge. I did hear that the area has been prone to sargasso weed and turtle grass build up in recent years.
    Last edited by Gerard; 05-01-2013 at 03:44 AM.
    "The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

He11 yeah! That was awesome! Great reporting and pictures to match. And yes, I'll admit it - I am envious too. Thanks for the report.

nice pics and story.

smallstreams.com plankowner
    Very nice! He looks thrilled, and a bit in awe of that fish in that setting.

Thanks for sharing!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.