Thread: Bought a New Rod

Alevin

Bought a New Rod

I've mentioned a 6 1/2' 3wt bamboo rod was being made for me. It will be done in June. (hopefully) I'll show it when it's done.

Meanwhile, I needed a rod for bigger waters that I like to fish. Like the Frying Pan and Taylor. Plus, I live on the Arkansas River. I usually fish creeks in the morning, and hit the Arkansas in the evening.

So, I was looking for an 8 1/2' 6wt. I found a maker who hasn't made a name for himself yet, but does beautiful work, and his rods cast nice. In time i'd never be able to afford his rods, but I can now so I got one at a bargain. It's based on a Powell B taper hollowbuilt which should be a smooth caster. I should get it this week, but here's a couple of pictures he sent me.

Last edited by Creek; 04-24-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Re: Bought a New Rod

Very nice

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

Alevin
    Thanks I'll show the 3wt when I get it. Maybe they'll be more interest here. I was excited to get the 6wt, and thought i'd show it.

That's a nifty stick! I don't have any bamboo any more, but can totally relate. It's surely going to be a plasure to use!

Nice rod I also build bamboo fly rods. I wpould like to see the 6 1/2 footer when it completed. I 've been thinking of building a 6' myself for smaller water.

Alevin
    I'm pretty excited about the 6 1/2' rod, because creek fishing it my first love. It's hard to pass up the green drake hatch on the Fry Pan, and caddis hatch on the Arkansas that a bigger rod works better on, but most of my time will be on creeks. It's coming in June which will be during runoff. I'm going to go nuts if I get the rod, and can't fish it.

Maybe some beaver ponds. :)

What kind of Wood Inlay on the Reel Seat ? Very nice looking Boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alevin
    The maker called it figured redwood. It sure is pretty in person.

Alevin
    Maker just got a hold of me to ask for my address. Little 6 1/2' 3wt rod must be close to finished. I'll post some pictures when I get it.

Alevin
    Well, after waiting so long for the rod. It turned out to be a badly built rod. I was pretty disappointed, and let him know about it.

He felt so bad, that he took a rod out of his personal collection, and sent it to me. I love it. Here's when it was for sale, and he bought it. It was still unfished when I got it with the plastic still on the grip. It's not on the grip now. These are getting pretty hard to find now. Paul didn't make that many rods. This one has the PHY Midge taper. a really sweet small stream rod.

The pictures had strange lighting, and makes the cane look blotchy. It person it's a dark brown, and really nice to look at.

http://www.vintageflytackle.com/prod...d-63-2-2-4wt-1

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.