Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Bamboo rod and some small streams

Nice rod and pictures. Ever since I started building bamboo fly rods its the only rods that I fish anywhere for about 4 or 5 years now. Keep the fish stories and pictures coming.

Those trout can easily be described as sexy...
    Last edited by fdavis; 04-12-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Alevin
    Nice job on the rod, and I like your creeks too. I was worried when I started to read the rod was 6'3". I worried that you were going to say it was too short. Happy to see you like it.

I'm having a 6'6" 3wt cane rod being built, and will get in June. I haven't had a rod that short before, and was wondering if I was going to like it. It made me smile when you liked yours. Hopefully, i'll feel the same way. I just bought a little 1492 Medalist for it. June can't come soon enough.

VERY nice.

Satoshi San,
    Making your own split cane rod and fishing with it is the ultimate experience for any angler. Well done!
    Last winter I made from scratch a 2 piece 4# as I found a lovely length of tonkin cane in a very old fishing tackle shop. Just in case you make another or refurbish an old rod here are some tips that I was given many years ago. Varnish: A good quality yacht varnish is best, it is very slow drying so allow 48 hrs between coats: thin to water like consistency and apply with your fingertip the first 2 coats. Apply a further two coats at normal consistency, also with fingertips, then continue coats over bindings until a uniform glossy finish is obtained, This will last for to my personal knowledge fifty years on a hard used rod.
    Last edited by heathcote; 04-22-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Missed word

Thank you for your words, guys.

Creek,
    I was also surprised at the fact that such a short rod like this worked pretty well. Short rods certainly have their niche in fly fishing.

heathcote,
    I should have asked people for advice here about rod building.
    Well, I will at least follow your suggestion next time.

smallstreams.com plankowner
    Thank you for wonderful narrative and photos . . . we finally have snow that is not thawing here in Alaska . . . an extra snow free month of fishing and riding . . . winter is here . . . -5F and dropping . . . time to tie flies and surf the net till spring . . . hopefully a month earlier . . . (8->)

Beautiful pictures !!! Love that Bamboo Rod. I am still in the midst of refinishing my Rod Blank I received from Mike Shay as a prize for short story a few years ago. It has wet my appetite to build some when I get the money. With my Mom passing away, and my Dad not too far behind, it makes me realize how short this time is on Earth. I would like to leave some of my family some things made with my two hands that they can pass down. A good box of Flies and a Custom made Split Bamboo Fly Rod is a perfect to leave your family members !!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.