Thread: Bushcraft/Woods skills?

Bushcraft/Woods skills?

Been reading a lot on the "Bushcraft" phenomenon. While I think it's a nice way of labeling and packaging (and marketing) skills we all ought to have, I also wonder if it might be a cool forum here in "the life"... not specifically Bushcraft, but Outdoor skills in general.

Thoughts?

I would probably participate in such a thread. Maybe I would have some things to offer, hopefully some common sense somethings.

We all come to "outdoor skills" from different directions and perspectives. I grew up in a rural, lightly populated and mostly forested area. When I was a kid we didn't call it bushcraft or outdoor skills, we called it going out to play. Subsequently I "guided" friends across forest tracts to fishing and hunting spots and on hikes to places that I had never seen myself, but I could find because I could read on a map what the ground would look like, and what the trees would look like. Sometimes I got a little confused (never lost), wet or cold, but I was never hurt, and I never spent a night in the woods that I hadn't planned to spend in the woods.

I was okay at going out to play within 50 or 100 miles of home. I'n not sure my skills would transfer to another type of terrain.

And of course, I can get turned around pretty easily trying to get across town, and I can't always find free parking or the best burger joint. I'm out of my element there.

I am researching a traditional Japanese knife for stream utility. In every old Tenkara book from Japan, a "Nata" knife is shown or referenced.

I am friends with many Japanese people and have asked them "where do I get one of these Nata?" and was sent here (or here.) This one is appealing... This one is too.

My Nata arrived, pretty stoked.

A very good tool for the forest.

It won't replace my Al Mar knife but it will be on my side, especially for long days in the forest.

I will report on it's usefulness.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Hi Folks, long time no see/speak etc., I've been long out of the loop re fishing.

Bushcraft though, is something I've developed an interest in, although to be strictly honest it should be called 'Messing about in the woods with knives and fire because its fun' rather than 'Bushcraft' in my case/experience.

I've acquired a range of sharp edged things, knives, hatchets, saws, felling axes, billhooks, slashers etc etc etc but the one which I use, refer to, make the most stuff with and generally enjoy the most is this:

Really cheap and cheerful, so if I lose it I don't lose sleep and sharp enough out of the box to fillet with or, of you're so minded, to shave arm hair. It's not a perfect knife by any stretch of the imagination, there's no corkscrew for a start and it's particularly rubbish at removing boy scouts from those difficult to reach bits of a horse's hoof. It's an Opinel No. 8 with a carbon steel blade... once nicely sharpened and well stropped though, you can shave with it... admittedly a Gillette Tech is more comfortable :)

Cheers!

Adam.

Nice Adz!

i like those, so many sizes.

the guys talked me into a Mora and now this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opinel-Knife...item4ac11710ca
    Last edited by adam; 02-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Oh I like that one... bear in mind the spine of the blade is as near as perfect a 90 degree angle as I've come across in a blade and I've cut myself more on the spine than I have on the blade when you're pulling corks!

Is that stainless?

A cheap and cheerful sheath knife over here is the Hultafors Craftsman and varying shades thereof. They're frequently priced down as low as £5 incl shipping, the blade steel is excellent and with a handle like this:

You're not going to lose it in a hurry. You can take the plastic handle off pretty easily and remake it with something a little easier on the eye - I have one at home with an antler handle with copper bolster and finger guard, I'll take pics when I get back.
    Last edited by Adz; 02-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Opinel is on my short list, too! Nice one, Adam. Like that Hultafors, too, Adz!

Adz are you still oop North !
    Catch up sooner or later !
    My bushcraft tool of choice these days are a pair of secateurs,for pruning my way into some wee stream,

'ello Doc. Still up North, haven't fished in a long time though - own business means I'm a very dull boy these days.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.