Thread: Finding Time to Fish

Finding Time to Fish

I spent a few hours on the water the other day. I went to a creek I don’t go to very often. It’s big for a wild trout stream. Last time I was here was about a year and a half ago and it was roaring and over my head in several places. Today, it was low and clear and rarely exceeded a couple feet in depth.

After a short hike, I was standing on the bank overlooking the stream and rigging up. I saw several rises in the smooth surface of a run, but I didn’t see any insects coming off and the fish weren’t breaking the surface. I tied on a #22 sparkle dun and a #22 bead head emerger on a short dropper. It was difficult sneaking into position and casting without alarming the fish due to the overhanging branches and crystal clear waster. I got one strike but wasn’t able to set the hook before the rises ceased.

I moved up to the next run and took a healthy ‘bow on the sparkle dun. The run beyond that gave up another one to the emerger.

After that, the makeup of the water changed so I switched to a #12 dry and a #14 dropper. I brought a few more to hand but had a number of missed strikes and early departures.

I missed a nice one along this log. I made a couple of drifts along the face of it with no interest. On the third cast I placed the flies tight in the corner where the thin stick lies across it. As my flies drifted along the crease beneath the log as it submerged into the water, a 12 inch trout darted out and grabbed the nymph. I lifted my rod but wasn’t able to connect. I couldn’t convince it to take another chance.

The day ended with about a dozen fish brought to hand. There were several missed opportunities, but no regrets. I can’t think of a better way to have spent a fine fall day.

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    I'm liking this. I may get to fish some of those southern Appalachian's in Jan. if I catch a weather break. Thanks for the early winter excursion.

Looks like you had a great time. I need to get out and do some fishing soon myself. I live just north of Charlotte and have been meaning to find a place to go.

Beautiful fish...

Very nice place you have there, looks like nice pocket water.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Tumbling, boulder strewn small streams are always in the back of my mind......but time is working against me at the moment.
    Glad you found time....nice session.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.