Thread: Banty Boo

Banty Boo

A friend of mine sent me some ferruled bamboo sections and an old pitted & cracked Fenwick cork grip with an attached (banged up) anodized gold aluminum reel seat. The grip had a female ferrule in it, so I used the ferrule to attach the grip to a drill and sanded the grip down to a smoother western style. I used the cork dust and mixed it with yellow carpenter's glue to make a paste and fill the pits and cracks. I used a single edge razor blade to back drag the flats on the two sections that I thought would make a nice little boo stick. Then I wrapped new guides with bright blue wrapping thread and finished the wraps with Flex-Coat. I epoxied the grip and reel seat in place and then drip coated both sections with polyurethane. It's 5 1/2 feet long and probably a 2 or 3 weight. I think it's going to be a fun rod for small mountain brookies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0023.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0025.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0026.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	458

Looks good! Have you had a chance to try and cast it?

Not yet Gus. But soon for sure.
    Well Gus, your question piqued my interest so I took it outside and tried a WF5F Peach line on it. With my awkward double haul I go 50 feet fairly easily. I'm plenty happy with that. Considering that on my good days with a full sized rod I barely get 60+ feet, 50 feet makes me happy.
    Last edited by Lotech Joe; 09-26-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Nice little rod, and the price is right. The test of a small stream rod is not the 50 foot cast, it's the 15 foot cast. If you can do that with a 5 wt banty, you have a good small stream rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    Nice little rod, and the price is right. The test of a small stream rod is not the 50 foot cast, it's the 15 foot cast. If you can do that with a 5 wt banty, you have a good small stream rod.
    Right on. So 50' with a 5? put a 3wt on it and get to a bushy tight little stream!

3 weight was my thought exactly.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.