Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ontario... I'm on a trip through California!

Hello from Ontario... I'm on a trip through California!

Hello everybody!

I'm a newbie angler from Toronto, Ontario currently on a family trip through California! I'm hoping of doing some cold water, small stream fly fishing up here in the Sierra-Nevada mountains! My goal: the elusive golden trout. If anybody has suggestions for me, let me know :).

Michael

Kern River, Volcano creek. Longest hike I ever made for a 6 inch fish, but they are pretty, Mems.

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Kern River, Volcano creek. Longest hike I ever made for a 6 inch fish, but they are pretty, Mems.
    Thanks Mems, I'll look into that. I don't care if I catch a 1" one LOL I just want a pure-bread of one of the three varieties! :)

Michael, where exactly are you in the Sierras? Goldens are going to be easiest to find in places like the Muir Wilderness near Yosemite and the Kern Drainage like mems says. Kern is in the southern Sierras, south of Sequoia Nat'l Park. Heading East up Hwy 190 out of Porterville (lived there for 10 years and my wife grew up there) is a nice (crazy winding) way to get up to that wilderness, or HWY 178 out of Bakersfield. Good luck and welcome to smallstreams!
    Last edited by gusstrand; 08-15-2012 at 11:28 PM.

We will be staying in Visalia, and I'd like to make a day trip from there. Also, the family we will be driving to the "General Sherman" tree, I'm not sure if there are goldens in that area. I will have to keep up my homework!

Two of my kids were born in Visalia! We lived in Portervile for ten years... My wife grew up there. Hwy 190 goes out of Portervile up in to the Sierras... There are Goldens up that hwy, but your best bet would be to go down to Bakersfield, hang a left and go up past Lake Isabella...
    Last edited by gusstrand; 08-14-2012 at 04:57 PM.

I might have to do the Hwy 190 thing... my family's schedule is fairly tight and I'm not sure they'd appreciate the 3 hour drive past Lake Isabella. Darn!

I'll update you guys on how it goes!

PM replied to. You can get to the Golden Trout wilderness/Little Kern via 190. More details in he PM

Saw this report on youtube... might be a tricky, low year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCvSuEJCy0

Thanks Gus, I'll see if I can make it up that way. It's been a unique year for fishing all around the globe, sad hear that goes for the goldens as well.

Egg
    We live in San Diego and have a house in Bandon, OR
    Gus,
    That's a good recommendation. I was up there last week and the Kern is running low and clear with lots of pocket water,
    Horace

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.