Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small streams and how you fish them

Just read this and thought I would echo a bunch of the comments already made. There was a time that I was one of those fly fishermen that believed our calling was higher than others (despite my upbringing of ugly sticks and rooster tails) Now with young boys I have revisited using spinning gear and spinners, bait etc. It has been a blast!! My favorite way to enjoy small streams is with a light cane fly rod, a silk fly line and a dry fly. Thats the method Ill use tomorrow when I get a chance on a favorite small stream. Over time I have learned that its all about FISHING.....All of the different facets are personal preference only. Rather than commit to only ONE form of angling, I have now realized that its all about the big picture. A lifetime as an angler. Peace and tight lines, Chris

We are going through the same thing right now with tenkara anglers.

My perception of many anglers new to *tenkara is high brow, superiority in fishing. A tenkara rod in the hands of a new angler can trump the skill of a intermediate fly angler. Take a look at all the new tenkara anglers and their blogs, web sites and their cottage sales of flys, lines, nets, guide services...

The "superiority" of fly fishing all over again.

Flye angling is old, multiple generations passed down.

The Internet is new and has a leveling effect and at the same time, it filters the stream of information.

Hear me out, a grandmother can now go to Target and get a laptop and have a specialized web site going in that afternoon. In a week, she can spread the word to thousands of people. I think this is good, and it's a step in the right direction as far as the spread of information.

However, there are far more spin fisher people out there on planet earth. Far more people that bring the folding chair to the lake and struggle with the lid on the Power Bait.

Does my Sakasa Kebari trump a snelled Eagle Claw hook?

No.

My catch rate is higher, but I risk far more fish, the snelled hook angler kills a few fish and eats his catch. A much more palatable reason to fish viewed by the non-fishing populace.

As I grow older, and hopefully more wise, I am understanding cycles from the information feed from the media.

...and tenkara is augmenting fly fishing which is in a negative growth (read decline) phase. Here in Phoenix, a metropolitan area of about 4 million people, we had several fly shops in the last decade, we now have 1.

Rod companies have effectively set up good conditions for tenkara to march right in and take over a large portion of their new customer base. The economy, the ease of use, the simplicity of tenkara has replaced those new to fly fishing. I think you will see in the future, fly fishing will again go through a period of renaissance. I think we have seen the peak, if there was one about 10 years ago. The growth of "fly fishers" isn't going like it was, they (the manufactures) priced themselves out of the market for far too long. The days of myself buying $700 reels, $700 rods, $80 fly lines, $500 waders, it's all gone (for me) and a lot of people and I have more money now than I ever have in my life, as I should.

I introduced my three year old with a Buzz Lightyear spinning rod. At five, he has a much nicer Shakespeare Batman rod and he will start to fish Dad's Sakura (Japanese) tenkara rod. But when he is ready, I'll give him a rod that I made for him out of a culm of bamboo.

And fly fishing will be his graduation, what he chooses to do with his degree is his decision.

A long time ago, I shared what was taught to me with you guys here.

A film canister with a few flys in the pocket of your surf trunks, a lite line fly rod, a nipper on a string around your neck and a hemostat clipped onto your t-shirt and start fishing a mile upstream of where you parked your car.
    Many of you took my advice and you are still here, keen fly anglers having honed your skills in simplicity.

In that simplicity, we found fishing.

Fishing at it's most fun form is simple.

Fly fishing is not simple.

I fish for the enjoyment of life in the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparse Grey Hackle
    Although fish are important to fishing, catching them is not.

That quote works best if you have a degree.

Fishin is fishin.

*the first wave of tenkara anglers here is only four years old.
    Last edited by adam; 08-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

I also started real young drowning worms. Then I would like to think I had seen the light and started fly fishing. In the begining it was difficult. Then all of sudden things started to click. That was over 20 years ago. I just recently got started making bamboo fly rods. I really enjoy that part of it, almost as much as fishing. I've built quite a few graphite rods and fiberglass from blanks. A few years ago I bought some bamboo blanks which didn't help the addiction. So here I am planing my own rods and exploring the ups and downs of bamboo fly rod building. The addiction just never ends except when you are on a small mountian stream fishing bamboo. (the bamboo fly rod gods are smiling upon you)

I started out in fishing with the usual short spincasting rod & Zebco reel. For me it was mostly urban or semi urban Trout fishing. (Syracuse has a few small spring-fed Trout trickles). After becoming addicted to Field&Stream,Sports Afield & Outdoor life I went out and started buying the short ultra-lite rods with ultralite open face reels with boat loads of ultralite lures.This all took place back in the early 70's. Watching a couple of flyfisherman fishing the same cricks I did decided That Was For Me ! By 11yrs old I was banging out my crude flies with my Hank Roberts fly-tying kit.I subscribed to FlyFisherman Magazine at 12yrs old. I knew then I was hooked for life.

Gus
    I have had to join a couple of gardening forums to avoid running into fred LOL!!

I to came to fly fishing from a youth spent drowning worms maggots and later spinning and pluggging ,went back to the bait when my son Hugh was of the age to want to fish with Dad ,now he is a double handed caster and fine boat fisherman ,sadly not turned on by the small streams but that may come .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.