Thread: Lower Kennet this Year

Lower Kennet this Year

It has been rightly suggested that photos in posts are good! I agree.

As I've not posted photos on a forum before this is a bit of a test run with a selection of fish from earlier this year:

A nice picture of one caught by my angling buddy Alan:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2014.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	376

One of mine from the same trip:

Name:	DSCN2016.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	377

A bigger one from a few miles upstream

Name:	DSCN2020.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	378

A chub:

Name:	Photo0035.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	379

A roach:

Name:	Photo0039.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	380

Any hints a tips on posting pics gratefully received.

Next trip I'll take a camera along and try and record events including some scenic shots.

Paul

Paul.
    just wondering which section you were fishing .
    I have fished the Kennet around Hungerford for some 40 odd years ,and further down stream of newbury for barble even longer .
    Sadly the pricing structure around Hungerford means I can no longer justify fishing there.

I can't justify the expense either, in fact it is just plain outside my means.

Without being specific the stretch I fish is known as a barbel water. The trout are wild fish and I suspect there are small populations along the length of the river wherever the habitat is right. Mayfly time was a revelation. Prior to that I was really beginning to doubt myself. But suddenly everything came alive and it was a fantastic hatch this year.

The numbers of fish aren't great so I suspect quite vulnerable to exploitation. One section I've stopped fishing because of a repeat capture. Size wise the fish have varied between 6" and 18" with most about 10". I have caught much bigger fish whilst fishing for the likes of chub and perch but those fish are quite predatory in lifestyle and unlikely to respond to standard fly tactics. It was these earlier accidental captures that put me on to these fish trout populations in the first place.

Have you ever read any the writings by the likes of HT Sheringham about the lower Kennet and trout? These writings from about 100 years ago make it quite apparent that the trout were there but except at Mayfly time were not a viable target for standard dry and nymph tactics.

Don't foget the free stretch of the Lambourn in Newbury (if you can put up with the dog walkers and "youf"). Term time weekdays after 10am and before 3pm seems to be best for avoiding any nuisance.

Paul

All pics are great!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the scenic photos too.

Satoshi

Paul.
    its a long way to go from North London,and now in my 60s I think searching for fish on long unknown stretches is not something i want too do at least until I retire.
    My small streaming and general trouting tends to be on the Monnow system ,great fishing at sensible prices and the folks that are the MFA are great friends of mine

Just spent the last week fishing that area via the WUF roving vouchers. Fantastic rivers and good fishing. Once I get photos sorted I aim to put a post up about it.

Went with an old friend of mine and over the week we fished the Monnow, Dore, Honndu and Escley Brook. Steep learning curve as we had only spent the odd hour fishing river of this type before. Catch reports are on the WUF website @ http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/fishing/feedback.php

Yes the Monnow system is special .
    Last weekend i drove 3 hours there ,fished for 5 or so hours at Skenthrith on the main stem of the monnow .
    mick my regular fishing partner and i had a great time catching goodly numers of 8-12 inch fish all on drys
    Mine came all to a jaxes Roughy ,Thanks Jax ! The downer was the long drive back into London ,work on monday was a big effort!!!!
    Re the Monnow if your liver is strong a great way to learn the river is attend one of the MFA spring social events ,Camping at Longtown ,dinner and breakfast laid on .
    Vats of beer ,wine and whisky consumed in some very good company and access to some of the very best beats ,one day on a tiny upland stream the other on a bigger beat .
    great company and folks from all over the UK all keen river men .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.