Thread: Final Four Weekend

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner

Final Four Weekend

Don't take this as a complaint but over the last few years it has gotten increasingly difficult to find time to fish at the end of March with all the KU basketball success. Late March used to be my favorite time for overnight canoe trips in the Ozarks but I have yet to find a TV on a gravel bar. With the unseasonable warmth I really wanted to get some more time on Missouri's Blue Ribbon Trout Streams so I gave Randy a call to see if he could work in some fishing for the last weekend in March--depending on how KU did in the tournament. He was gung ho and we decided we were heading out. I thought it was possible they'd make the final four but I didn't think it was likely

As you know KU ended up in the final four and Randy still wanted to go fishing. Hard to work this dilemma out. Many years ago, Randy started me out flyfishing for trout in Missouri. I think he was looking for someone as crazy as he is for fishing all day--no matter the weather and only stopping to refuel with a sandwich. He didn't quite find that person but we are compatible. I really didn't want to let him down because we simply don't get to fish together enough these days. Finally, we decided on sharing a hotel room so we could watch the semi-final on a TV---good choice on the game and the fishing was great too.

We motored down Saturday morning and fished the till sundown. The stream was beautiful and the fish were cooperative.

I left Randy here to fish back upstream.

I went a bit further downstream and was going to follow him upstream so he would have the first shot.

I immediately caught several fish here.

Took my time and really enjoyed these runs.

After quite a few small trout on a dry I decided I'd best check in on Randy and see how he was doing.

He was just where I'd left him and unfortunately he was catching some but not as consistently as the hole just downstream where I was fishing. I was using an EHC and catching lots of little ones. He was using nymphs. I really felt bad. He ended up catching fish but neither of us caught fish the rest of the day like I did in the first area. Kind of strange.

We moved up and down the stream all day. I eventually changed over to a mohair leech and while I caught fewer they were larger. It was a good day with a lot learned by both of us about fishing this stream.

On Sunday we tried another stream. Catching wasn't as good Sunday but the fishing was still sublime.

Here the fishing wasn't as consistent as we had the day before. Still there was a lot learned. By one o'clock we were ready to pack up for home knowing that we'd be back.

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    Sounds like it came together for a good time. I watched that game, too. Seems like everyone is getting some fishing in but me.
    jeepster

I like your post, great photos and story. I envey you as due to our earthquake here in NZ I have lost my fishing buddy of 30 plus years and we are now half the world apart. My fishing is now a solitary game but still there is nothing to beat being by the waterside.

Beautiful fish photos. That barely submerged trout taken from above (#5) is just magic! What sort of setup do you use for the near- and under-water shots?

I'm using the Panasonic Lumix TS2--it is a great little camera and usually comes out ahead in head to head reviews with other underwater cameras though I admit I haven't searched for the reviews over the past 6 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../ref=pd_cp_p_0

Their latest is now 2 versions above mine but I understand that it has equivalent or improved image quality and a number enhanced features.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Wate...4689089&sr=1-2

I'm thinking of upgrading but I've been playing more with my DSLR stuff.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Enjoyed your post & pics ksbioteacher,
    Its been a lean season for me outing wise, so slightly envious...
    Good to see our spotted quarry came to the party.
    The riparian scenery looks pretty too.

Sorry ofuros about the lean season. I can sympathize living in an area devoid of trout streams---we have other water but unless I travel distances for at least 3 hours, my seasons are lean, too.

The Jayhawks were incredible this season. My wife has done extremely well with a degree from KU.

AZS

PS: lovely piece of water
    Last edited by joe; 04-23-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks, Joe. I am privileged to work here at KU, now and my degrees are from here as well. I was actually born here, as were my children and 2 out of 3 grandchildren. Of course my family and I have all developed a great fondness for this institution---like so many have for the various universities and colleges. Universities are very special places. The basketball program is like icing on the cake. We are truly spoiled here as far as basketball is concerned but this season was a very special one. Still, I miss the canoe trips....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.