Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenkara vs. Western Fly Fishing

Tenkara vs. Western Fly Fishing

No.

Not like that.

There are people that choose a tenkara rod and nothing else.

That would be a personal choice.

Western fly fishing has established itself as a great way to fish a small stream. There is proof that it predates tenkara but it could be argued that the early form of fly fishing is closer to tenkara like technique.

Tenkara is old but it is not new. It may be new to you, new to America but it is not new.

Tenkara in its earliest report was a efficient way for professional fisherman to bring fish to market. The earliest forms of Western Fly Fishing was written more about sport, a way to take fish for a meal.

Both are fly fishing.

Tenkara is an extremely efficient form of alpine (small mountain stream) angling. Many choose it as their only form, I do not. Neither does Yoshikazu Fujioka. He and I have corresponded over the years about mountain angling.

When I started smallstreams (.com), I promoted fly fishing the mountain stream. There was even room for fishermen using spinning techniques as long as good ethics were involved.

When Mr. Fujioka began to make his web site from his perspective in Japan, we promoted it without prejudice.

He is a Western Fly Angling enthusiast and also a early tenkara enthusiast. Dare I say the best person to represent tenkara from a Japanese perspective...

There is no tenkara is better than or vs. fly fishing.

Tenkara is fly fishing.

It is the easiest form, so easy nearly any child could be taught it with good success.

Western Fly Anglers by far comprise the larger skill pool. Their knowledge is greater, their skill level of handling a fly line is on par with a master level in comparison with the new to tenkara enthusiasts that will tell you it is the only way to fish.

Be advised that it is easier to catch fish this way but the skill level is shallow in comparison.

I have practiced it myself for three seasons fishing no other type of fly rod.

I have chosen to immerse myself in it to understand it as best as possible. I have researched tenkara choosing books written about it in Japan by the arguably known modern "father of modern tenkara" Soseki Yamamoto. He writes hand in hand about fly fishing (Western techniques) and tenkara.

Do not let tenkara be marketed to you.

Do not drink the media attention seekers kool aid.

Tenkara is just another way of fly fishing the mountain stream, a good choice and nothin more or less.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Aloha Adam, I want to tenkara ulua fish. I want a nice bamboo tree, 300lb fluro line. 6/0 hook and a live mullet. I want to dangle that in front of an 80lb ulua and then put on a pair of water skiis and go for a ride. Happy spring break from Hawaii. I would use tenkara or western flyfishing in a small stream anytime. Mems.

Extreme pole fishing brah...

Good to read you.

smallstreams.com plankowner
    ulua. . . in my dreams 8-) Now o'ama tenkara . . . that entireable doable . . . did that on a regular basis on the north shore Kauai late 1980s . . . finally broke the tip on a papio. Put the rod back in action when i moved to Alaska . . . with an Amago tip from Tenkara USA. Works great. Used it exclusively for dry fly grayling last couple of seasons . . . didn't feel handcapped at all . . . but wlll take the LL and glass rods this season too . . . gotta say grace with the long line . . . it's in my soul.
    Last edited by grayling; 03-22-2012 at 12:47 AM.

If I had a Tenkara rod, I would use it on my small stream - if I had two, my 10 year old would as well. We don't so we use western rods. Nice perspective Adam, and I agree. I really think it's all the same... peche la mouche... we fish the fly.

tenkara rocks. i am no tenkara expert but to me it is fly fishing in it's simpleist (sp?) form; great for mtn streams. it gives great reach and access to especially spooky fish, that might be difficult to cast to with regular fly gear. i like both tenkara and "traditional" western fly angling both. they each have their strengths.

Cool

I believe it is another style of Fly Fishing. It does predate, and is the earliest; the Oriental Feudal system Masters used it to catch their meals (it was efficient). This was also how early Fly Fishing was, then the Reels were just added. Fly Fishing then evolved. Kinda like Bow Hunting. In that I do both the Earlier Long Bow & Recurve (Native American Style Hunting/ instinctive and snap shooting without sites), Mongolian Styles of Archery with the Thumb Rings and Celtic Era Archery; and the Compounds, Hypercams and advanced cam bows with trigger releases and advanced sites. All styles are great sport and challenging. I like the Earlier styles of Fly Fishing and even Fly Tying (In Japan, Fly Tying was and still is one of the honored Zin Arts, just like Archery, etc.). I have returned back to fishing Bamboo, and even reaching into and learning TenkaraTenkara (I am great friends with Mikasa Ishimara, and did a review of her book /Co-Author on Tenkara). I still enjoy the Modern Rods and Fishing style, as well as the Modern Styles of Fly Tying and Designing (being a music teacher and Musician, it is the same way; It is important to be educated in the classical styles as well as the modern styles..........everything evolves.) All of these styles are so exciting and equally important. It has made me a better Fly Tyer/Designer to know the Classic styles (all styles) and Modern Fishable Realistics; the older styles and modern styles of Fly Fishing, Bow Hunting, Black Powder and Modern styles of shooting, classical music to Modern Jazz Fusion and Heavy Metal.
    Last edited by Alpinefly; 03-20-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Ok, I think I follow you and I might challenge you on a couple of your points but it does not matter.

We agree that it is a form of fly fishing.

...and it is music, not heavy metal.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooktrout View Post
    tenkara rocks. i am no tenkara expert but to me it is fly fishing in it's simpleist (sp?) form; great for mtn streams. it gives great reach and access to especially spooky fish, that might be difficult to cast to with regular fly gear. i like both tenkara and "traditional" western fly angling both. they each have their strengths.
    You must have been taught by a great American Master?

No?

</kidding>

smallstreams.com plankowner martin_b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Ok, I think I follow you and I might challenge you on a couple of your points but it does not matter.

We agree that it is a form of fly fishing.

...and it is music, not heavy metal.

:)
    Just to point out, heavy metal RULLLLLEZZZ!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.