Thread: Alvord Basin Cutthroat trout Angler Action Plan

Alvord Basin Cutthroat trout Angler Action Plan

Exotic trout and other cutt types were stocked on top of existing populations of the Alvord Basin Cutthroat trout. These stockings have caused the loss of this trout in pure form. The Alvord Cutthroat Phenotype ((ACP), phenotype means what this trout looks like) is what currently remains of this trout and is now only known to exist in one tiny stream in Oregon. The problem is Lahonton CT and Humboldt CT were stocked in the same stream as the pure Alvords. All the trout in this tiny stream are slowly becoming what I call “Mutt Cutts”. The following website is an amazing work of art, both written and pictorial, explaining the saga of the Alvord CT and calling for help. In the latest Feb. 28th, 2012 narrative, I saw that the Oregon F&G has a possible change to their 2013 fishing regulations based on my response and likely by others with similar responses (see below).

http://kortumofdiscovery.wordpress.com/2012/02/

My October 2011 response on a way to help this trout:

I have been following the Alvord Phenotype discussion since the Nevada F&G Dept. tried to move the Alvord Phenotypes (AP) from Virgin Ck. to Jackson Ck. If the Nevada G&F had left the Alvord phenotypes in Virgin CK. and made the larger effort to remove the non-AP, I believe the project would have had more success based on hindsight. Because I am not aware of any on-stream action taking place to save the AP in G---- CK. Oregon, it seems to me that a bare minimum plan of action would be to mechanically remove the non-AP by angling. This would buy time until government folks have an action plan in place, if ever, because the AP is not a pure species. If the take "no action" is the government plan then I would feel much better that mechanical removal was being used by anglers which would help reduce further degradation of the remaining AP. I really like the AP website of Dave Kortum.

Joe D
    Last edited by joe; 03-02-2012 at 08:16 PM.

In Robert Smith's book "Native Trout of North America" he talks about the Alvord Cutthroat Phenotypes as "reaching 18-20 inches and as red as fire trucks along the sides" in a garden hose flow of a creek.
    Last edited by joe; 03-05-2012 at 12:25 PM.

I believe in MR Montgomery's most excellent book, Many Rivers to Cross....he discusses discovering an Oregon stream that contains this strain of trout. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all fly fishers.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I have followed Dr. Behnke's studies for many years when it comes to different Cutthroat Species (and especially the Greenback Cutthroat restoration). Also very involved and interested in the Native Apache and Gila Trout Restoration efforts here in Arizona (not related to Cutthroat, but still beautiful and wild).

Thank you for the information. I try to make a trip out that way at least once a year. Could you PM me the name of the creek in question. I believe I know where in the Alvord he is referring but would like to clarify.

Nice try, but the creek in question is not in the Alvord Creek drainage.

If any of you want to follow the survival of the remaining Alvord Cutthroat phenotypes, sign up for monthly communications at the bottom of the website listed above.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.