Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly line -> leader knot

Fry
    I had a bad experience with the braided loops. Lost a nice trout on the Popo Agie when the loop slid off my line. Probably my fault, but I haven't used one since. Nail knot with a dab of UV knot Sense for me.

This is a nice neat way to do the join ,vary the nylon to suit the line weight .
    http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/fishing-knots.htm

A little practice and a real neat loop forned ,much neater than the vast majoity of braid loops and I trust them much more .

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    That gray’s loop is pretty cool.
    jeepster

Cool they are,slowly converting most of my lines over to them ,using fluro on the sinking lines as they should last for a very long time .

It's been a very long time since I posted here. In fact I'm surprised I was even able to log on. So, although you guys don't know me, & will probably think I'm crazy, Gus knows me from his Rogue River days & can vouch for me. (that I am, in fact, certified crazy) So here goes.

First off, I hate those braided loop things with a real passion. Second, if there is any way I can eliminate a knot, I'm all for it. For the little stuff, say 5 wt & under, I favor the Dave Whitlock method of splicing a knot-less (store bought) tapered leader directly to the fly line. Much simpler than the Gray's loop, which was very good btw. For the heavier stuff, I prefer a loop to loop connection consisting of either a welded or a spliced loop on the line and a perfection loop on the leader. Neither Chinook Salmon, Sea run Browns, Steelhead, or big Carp have ever broken my loops.

It takes some practice to learn how to do this stuff, but what the hell, you guys have closed seasons. Down time. We fish all year long out here.

Hey Gus, I like that auto save feature. Saves a lot of time & frustration for fumble fingered old guys like me.

Thanks, JD

Hey JD! Glad to see you here, man! Still chasing chrome and skirts in the Rogue Valley?

I've always used a nail knot, but one Orvis reel I bought came with the 4WF line setup with a loop... it was cool for a while, I felt like it "hinged" a bit, and cut it off and went back to nail knots. I use a typical nail knot tool.
    Mike B

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.