Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line -> leader knot

Fly line -> leader knot

I was wondering if the nail knot + perfection loop is the best combination to tie between the fly line and the leader as far as fly presentation goes. Is there any other knot the folks would say is more appropriate to contribute with a good presentation? I do like the flexibility those loops provide on changing leaders

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by the1club; 02-20-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: wrong knot name

I use braided loops on my lines which makes changing out my furled leaders easier. I fish line weights from 2 to 9 on rods varying from 6'10" to 12'6" and use this method on all of the lines for these rods.
    In short...I prefer loop to loop connections.
    Cheers,
    R

Braided loops are nice indeed. The last two fly lines I bought (Orvis) came with braided loops tied, so it was quite straight forward. I have now bought a Cortland Sylk DT-3, which doesn't have such feature and that's the real reason behind my question. Do you buy the braided loops ready to go or do you use braided monos to make them yourself?

I bought the first pack of ~3 or 4, then discovered that there are lots of braided whatevers that haven't been converted to loops. The last ones that I made were from a nylon adjusting cord from window blinds, those are for my Steelhead and Hybrid Striped Bass lines. Others were from braided running line.
    I made a puller (like a bobbin threader, only longer) out of a banjo string (G) to insert "up the gut' to snatch the tag end prior to pulling through to form the loop.
    Cheers,
    R

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    I have a cortland sylk dt3 with a cabela’s slip on leader loop. It works great. If you ever used a chinese finger puzzle as a kid you can attach this loop to your fly line.

jeepster

Thank you jeepster, Ron. I've just bought 8 of these ready-to-go braided loops from an online auction to start with

Side note: I don't use the 'shrink tube' sleeve over the tail end, rather a mono Nail Knot of ~7-8 turns ~ 1/8" from the 'fuzz'. I then use nail clippers to trim off the exposed 'fuzz'. Maybe a thin coat of Flex Seal of some sort over the knot.
    Cheers,
    R

Why is that? Does it make it lighter? Does the tube require heat to shrink?

In this movie he uses nail knot instead as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNKRidC75RI

'Cause I can. Probably. I believe so, never tried that. Yes, same method.
    R

loop to loop

Aloha, I use a braided loop as well, no nail knots for bonefish. Instead of the heat shrink, use a nail knot with gsp and some softex over the knot and the braided loop. It has not failed yet on any fish, mahi, ahi or ono. For trout you can get away with a nail knot, but what happens if you hook a big one and it breaks off and breaks your heart. Loops are easy to attach and easy to change the leader. Mems.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.