Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brook trout in Victoria Australia

Fry
    I waded, clambered, slipped up that little creek that I was hoping to catch brook trout from but with no luck. The creek was pretty enough with ferns, overhanging trees and moss covered boulders. There were many small dinner table sized pools with shallow connecting runs. If I was a self respecting brook trout, I'd set up house there. However, I did not catch any fish, brook trout or others. That's not to say the creek doesn't contain trout, it's just that I wasn't able to tempt them with the flies I threw at them--bead head nymphs, Royal Coachman and black wooly worm.
    On the way home I stopped at the Badger Creek which is a small creek about 5 minutes drive from home. I cast a Bibio Hopper upstream and near the fallen branches in the larger pools. A trout came out of the tangled branches in one hole and took the sunken fly but I missed him.
    No trout today but I enjoyed fishing these two small waters.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    They're mighty elusive those brookies......rather like finding a pot of gold, especially in Australia.

Spod,
    Sorry for the bad luck, but it's always fun for a fly fisher to try a new water to find a secret.

Fry
    I've heard of another potential brook trout stream that's not far away. This time the report included a photo of a decent sized brookie. Must give it a try before the stream trout season ends in a couple of weeks time.
    Cheers,
    Steve.
    PS Since I posted the above comment, I've discovered that the brook trout in this stream were 200 escapees from a nearby trout farm.
    Last edited by spod; 06-08-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Spod,

I like knowing were the Brookies came from.

Thanks,

Joe D

Fry
    The brookies in this stream, the Rubicon River, Victoria, Australia came from a nearby trout hatchery. We had alot of rain a few weeks ago and some of the hatcheries seem to have escapee problems when this happens. This info wont be much use to you in Arizona but at least you now know where these brook trout are! What's the fishing like in Arizona?
    Cheers,
    Steve.
    PS I should have mentioned in my previous post that I live in the Land Downunder.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.