Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brook trout in Victoria Australia

Fry

Brook trout in Victoria Australia

I was talking to another fly fisher at a nearby small creek in Healesville and the subject of brook trout came up. There are a few isolated spots that hold brook trout on Australia but they are nowhere near as common as brown or rainbow trout. He claimed to have caught them in a very tiny remote creek, a few miles SE of where I live. I know the spot and have driven over the bridge many times. The description given seemed right--greenish grey with small pale spots. So I have to check out this spot, even just to satisfy my curiosity.
    Do brookies have any kind of preferences in flies?
    Hopefully I'll be able to confirm these brook trout in a week or two. Even if I draw a brook trout blank, I'll still have the pleasure of fishing another small water.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Steve,
    I grew up fishing native brook trout in small streams. I can't argue with the "greenish grey with small pale spots" description. I've known brook trout to range from near black to almost all silver within just a few miles, depending on water chemistry, diet, light and cover, time of year, and maybe some other factors. The most reliable indicator is that the true trout (rainbows, cutthroats, browns) have dark spots on a lighter background, and the chars (of which the brookie is one) have light spots on a darker background. You'll find lots of pictures of brook trout on the web.
    As to flies, I would use the flies that you use for browns in the same area. Brook trout have a reputation for being easier to catch that brown trout. Some people like attractor flies with a bit of red in them. I like a little blaze orange in the autumn pre-spawn period. In streams with a limited food supply, any reasonable fly will work fine. Where the fish are well fed, your imitations have to get closer to the natural insects, crustaceans, and minnows to catch the bigger brookies.
    Please post a report after you visit this stream.
    Ernest

Greenish grey almost sounds like a lake trout. Where abouts in Victoria is it; would it be in the Northen part (I can't remeber the name of the mountain range).

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    Probably not Victoria.....but Ofuros has been looking also....

http://smallstreams.com/showthread.p...t=ofuros+brook

Brook will eat about anything you throw at them. Good luck and happy catching

Aloha, Blue halo- brook trout, good luck, Mems

Brook trout can live in amazingly thin waters. My friend's farm in Vermont had a small brook, 18 to 30 inches wide, cutting through it. Maybe a foot deep at most. You could toss a fly in and one would nail it before it floated a foot. If it got sucked under the undercut bank, you were guaranteed to pull a brookie out. They weren't huge, around four to eight inches, but they were there and they were hungry. The important thing was cold clean water.

Your fortunate to be able to fish for these trout.

Here is the best fly you can present to them.

The Ausable Bomber.

Brk Trt

Fry
    Tomorrow I'm hoping to try that creek I wrote about and see if it does hold brook trout. From what I can remember the creek is very narrow, rocky and runs through a steep gully. I'll take all the flies that I have which include Royal Coachman, Red and Black matuka, Poacher and Black Wooly Worm, all of which have a touch of red or orange which seems to be the go for brook trout from what I've read on this post. Wish me luck.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

Good luck, enjoy the day.

Brk Trt

Quote Originally Posted by spod View Post
    Tomorrow I'm hoping to try that creek I wrote about and see if it does hold brook trout. From what I can remember the creek is very narrow, rocky and runs through a steep gully. I'll take all the flies that I have which include Royal Coachman, Red and Black matuka, Poacher and Black Wooly Worm, all of which have a touch of red or orange which seems to be the go for brook trout from what I've read on this post. Wish me luck.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.