I was just thinking on the way home from work today how long it was until the season opened in May. I realized now is the time to remember good memories on the stream, read some good books about Fly Fishing and plan and prepare for next year.

It would be interesting to hear what the rest of you are going to be doing over the winter. May give us all some new ideas. And let us in on some of you memories.

One of my most memorable fly fishing trips involved my know grown 2 sons. I had a "River runs through it" moment. Then, they were in there early teens. We were leap frogging each other along the stream. It was early August and hot. Every cast was a trout, really.

By mid afternoon I was ready for a sit down but not the boys. They went on ahead. After a short rest, I walked up a rise to get a look at the water and see where the boys were. As I came over the top, I could see them down below, about 50 yards apart, wet wading up to their knees. They were on there own, confident, casting and bring in the trout.

At that moment, I sat down and watched, not wanting the moment to pass and the emotion to pass. I took pleasure in watching. I knew they were becoming young men. We shared the love of fly fishing and would have that for ever, I hoped. As of now we still do.

Timed moved on and so did I. I got back to fishing and, later, we returned to camp for a dinner of the best trout ever.

That moment is burned into my mind. I hope it never fades. This is what winter time is meant to do. Give us a chance to understand what is important in life. family and fly fishing, and not always in that order.

Happy winter all.