Thread: A Nor'easter, and a Small Stream

A Nor'easter, and a Small Stream

On Thursday the 27th of October we in Connecticut experience our first snowfall. The next day saw a dusting of white crystals on the ground as well as the trees. It was early for the white stuff to appear, and ever so beautiful. I was going to fish a small stream which is home to some wonderful little brook trout.

As I walked through the woods to the stream I could see a natural painting of fall colors and winter white. The stream was crystal clear and running swift.
    The brookies were on the move, they were busy with spawnning. Several pairs of the little ones were observed, and left to be.
    I tossed a dry fly out, a Bomber and allowed it to work. The trout found it to be good meal and soon I hooked up with a wild jewel.

Enjoy the first snowfall in Brook Trout Forest.

The second snow to fall in Brook Trout Forest came on Saturday October 29th. It was a severe nor'easter that left over a foot of heavy wet snow. This storm did more damage than anyone would have thought. With the trees still full of leaves it did not take long for them to begin to fall apart. We lost power on Saturday, and did without it for six days, for some folks it was ten days.

Over a week later I walked that same little stream. The damage was heavy. Trees down everywhere. Pools and runs were all gone, changed by trees and limbs in the water. I fished that stream, and found the brook trout still hungry. They survived, as they have for thousands of years.
    How this stream fares later remains to be seen. I hope it's for the better.

After the nor'easter.

Brk Trt

Cool... in more ways than one! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, that Oct. storm was vicious. My brother-in-law was without power for 11 days. Glad to see you got some fishing in though. Nice stream there!

As usual an excellent post. Great photos. Mother Nature can be cruel at times But; I believe she has an overall plan that will prove to be good. Thanks for posting. Jax

Wow, those fish are gorgeous! I must say that I am once again astounded by the way that the fish can adapt to those types of natural events. Keep the reports coming!

Thank you gents for the wonderful comments.

Every picture is beautiful.
    Thank you for posting.

WOW that sure is a pretty place

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    sweet pics.
    jeepster

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Changing seasons.....lovely.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.