Thread: tippet

tippet

How often do you toss out unused tippet?

I don't fish a ton of fluorocarbon...mostly maxima chameleon...and it has held up very well, a couple of years of use...but I am always gun shy about using older leader/tippet material.

What ever brand you use it will last longer if you keep it away from sunlight & extreme heat.

I have tippet spools that are years old and in good shape. If I have any question about it I use my Berkley fish scale and test it. I will cut 2 ft off tie in loop knots both ends. Then test with a study hand pull. Once it breaks have a reading to decide does it stay or go on the bench for fly tying. I keep my tippet in the house where it is cool and in the dark away from sunlight.

Okay...so I am cleaning out the gear bag and am finally tossing out the old stuff. Anyone have any recommendations on a tippet they prefer...I don't fish flies smaller than 18...so an ultralight flourocarbon isn't needed for me.

I've had tippet in my vest for years. I bring it in the house when I'm done fishing where it is cooler. I use Rio in flourocarbon and regular monofiliment. The flouro is so expensive. I would'nt be afraid to use either on one of Rio's line of tippets. This is just my opinion I'm sure have own about other brands.

I agree. Sun and heat are the biggest problems that will damage good Tippet. I have had many of my spools for several years. When I was a Park Ranger in Yellowstone, I came across some Shock Tippet that was straight packaged and color coded (I had bought it in Gardner). I wish I remember the name (brand) and if it is still around. The technology now days has become so advanced, that it is much easier to land large Trophy Trout on Size 32 Midges without breakage. I keep around several different brands, and use according to the situation.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.