Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bonefish in hawaii

bonefish in hawaii

Aloha, I spent the weekend with my wife on Oahu. Joy was awarded Hawaii Red Cross volunteer of the year for her work with disaster relief. It was a weekend for her, so no fishing, but we did get to do some snorkeling with a school of bonefish down in Waikiki.

This spot is right across from the zoo and thousands go by it each day not knowing what lies just next to this pier. It is a non-fishing zone and the bonefish thrive there.

This is the view from the pier, can you see the bonefish?

Just below the surface roam some large oio, hawaiian bonefish.

There are some other fish like this bluefinned trevally, but the bones are the main attraction

The fish are very tame and they love to eat bread.

Joy enjoyed feeding them out of her hands. They followed us like puppies.

I got into the act a little, but really enjoyed just taking pictures of the bonefish.

We even got them to eat some bread on the surface, top water bones!

So if you ever are in Waikiki and walk by this pier make sure to have some bread and your mask and snorkel and go swim with the bonefish. Mems

Killerz.

I've walked that pier so many times...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

You brought back some great memories. I spent the honeymoon of my first marriage there (on Oahu), and remember that pier and the Bonefish. What a great way to spend the holidays (especially New Year's Eve) !!!!!

Glad you guys enjoyed the pictures. It just shows how good bonefishing would be here if it was all catch and release. This place is protected and the fish thrive. Went out yesterday and got two mahi one 30lbs and another 20lbs and a small tuna around 10lbs. Got them all on light tackle. Had the 12wt ready but it was not a wide open bite, had to use bait. I still enjoy a 30lb bull on a bait casting rod, good fun. Hope you guys get out before the season closes on trout. Have a great Halloween, Mems.

Mahi.......I mequite smoked up some of that with Tequila & Lime marinate. Great Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa YUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok bra, headed your way in October, O'ahu.

That's absolutely correct. For many years I've snorkeled (and dived) just outside, and then inside the Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District on the N. Shore (Shark's Cove) and I always know when I've crossed over the CD boundary because over the period of a few minutes' swimming the numbers of fish quadruple (at least).

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    It just shows how good bonefishing would be here if it was all catch and release. This place is protected and the fish thrive.

I love snorkling in Sharks Cove...

Back in the day (mid 80's) we would go swimming on the north shore when it was flat to check out the reefs. We would grab rocks and run on the bottom. It was something you just did as a surfer, it was cool.

...and there were tons of fish.

Hey Adam, great news you are headed my way. I hope you can get over to the Big Island for some ahi and mahi action. I can help you out with a guide on Oahu for the bones over there. They are big and tough to catch. Fill me in on the details. Don.

Oct 13 - 20, O'ahu, a birthday present for the wife.

Beeg island no go, sorry bra.

Talk soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.