Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sno-fly ix midge swap

Rick Takahashi Bow Tie Buzzer

Here is th Bow Tie Buzzer Designed by Rick Takahashi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GetAttachment Rick Takahashi Midge 3.jpg  

6 spots left on the list. I have not heard from Roy Christie or Andy Baird as of yet (nor Niklas Dahlin). I am sure, some of the past veterans are out fishing ( which is what I would want to be doing right now lol) !!!

I'd like to participate if you'll have me. I'm not sure I belong in the company of the other tyers - but nonetheless it should be fun and enlightening.

I'm not sure what I'll tie yet.

-Anthony

Welcome aboard Anthony. There is a vast array of Midge species, and in many different stages. The Midge hatch is often overlooked, and yet, when it comes to catching Trophy size Trout, it can be very productive. A great example is on the Dream Stream Section of the South Platte (Colorado). These Trout are very large, and very finnicky. They want midges (sometimes very small; even though not all Midges are small) and they have to be presented in a way that is natural, or the Trout will refuse your offering. One of those days on the Dream Stream section, I saw one large Cutthroat caught all day among a lot of fishermen trying (and we went through a lot of different Midge patterns and ways to fish them. The Trout that was caught was on a size 28 Beadhead Pheasant pattern; very fine 8x tippet (25 inch Trout).
    I get a kick at the idea that Large Trout can key in on such miniscule offerings. Then on places like 11 Mile and Spinney, just up above the Dream Stream Section, A Lake Chironomid will be much larger (Even size 10 hooks). Guide Landon Mayer can be seen posed with many Trophy sized Hogs form The Dream Stream, 11 Mile, Spinney (all that area). He has spent a lot of time studying Midges.The Virtual Horse Fly Pattern that I tie can be on both a #16 or #14 Hook. Horse Flys are in the Diptera Family. You have been on the water and have had the pesky rascals bite you. The fish know that these pesky rascals are great food, and will feed on them anytime (thus the Virtual Horse Fly is a great go-to pattern). In Arizona alone we have approx 111 Diptera Species.
    On the Lees Ferry, there is about 60 different Chironomid Species. Wow !!!!!! The San Juan tail water is another place where large Trout key in on Midges in many different stages ( we all know of the simple yet productive San Juan Worm, tied in many different ways, which copies the Blood Worm Chironomid). Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka have spent a lot of time in their study of Midges, and ways to fish them. About a thousand different patterns are in their book (and there are still many more great patterns that did not make it into the book). In the UK and surrounding countries Midges are called Buzzers. Roy Christie has designed many great patterns in reversed parachute style. His Avon Emerger is a great example of a Midge Emerger, and how it properly hangs in the surface film. Davey McPhail is another geat tyer and a Master when it comes to Buzzer Patterns. His Blue Electric Buzzer is deadly, and even more deadly is a Buzzer he has designed with Bug Bond. Gary Hittterman is one of the best tyers in the United States (he lives just down the road from me in Casa Grande).
    Everyone should know a pattern called The Zebra Midge. That pattern was designed my Gary (also the KF Midge, and there are others). Gary is Nicknamed Big Hands (he has humongous sized hands), and it is amazing watching someone with hands that size tie such small Midge patterns, and in such a perfect way. 2 years ago guide Kevin Evan's Daughter asked to be on the Sno-Fly list. This very young girl was amazing in the Midge pattern she submitted; a pattern that ranks up there with many top professional designers. Over the years, we have had a fantastic list of tyers; many of those tyers have patterns included in the book Modern Midges. I have had a lot of tyers that never had fished or tied Midges. They were very skeptical and felt that it could be difficult, but found it to be a great learning experience and opened up a new and overlooked avenue in catching Trophy Trout. It really is not hard to design and tie great and deadly Midge patterns (even a Caveman can do it (?) LMAO). We have 5 spots left. Has anyone heard from Roy Christie or Andy Baird ???
    Last edited by Alpinefly; 10-20-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Roy Christie's Avon Midge Emerger

Roy Christie's Avon Midge Emerger is a great example of Midge Emerger Design that properly hangs in the surface film like the natural.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails avonfly Avon Midge Emerger.jpg  

Glo-Lite Series Blood Chironomid

The Glo-Lite Series Blood Chironomid (one of my designs) perfectly shows the three dimmensional view of The Blood Chironomid Emerger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17558_106698452678366_100000146360377_182170_2176815_nGlo-Lite Series Blood Chironomid.jpg  

Virtual Horse Fly

Where there is water, there are pesky biting Horse Flies. Where there are Pesky Biting Horse Flies, there are large fish,
    Not all Diptera are small. The Virtual Horse Fly can be tied on a Gamakatsu C12 size 16 or size 14 hook and is a very deadly Dry Fly pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-John-Larson-16-Virtual-Horse-Fly.jpg  

Welcome aboard Avril (reelsister). She is a veteran from last year (but is having trouble logging on to smallstreams and resetting her password). 4 spots left !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Alpinefly; 10-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.

I've been out fishing,
    sure, I'll play Sno-Fly
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I've been out fishing,
    sure, I'll play Sno-Fly
    :)
    Me too, John... looking forward. Still on a beatis tip, these #28's drift so sweet with split tails, and remind me of the summer. Strictly close-range, say 15-18' off the tip-ring:

Roy - closed out the 2011 season perched on Stoyan's Rock, solid as ever...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.