Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sno-fly ix midge swap

Hybrid View

Cool Sno-Fly IX Midge Swap (Now Closed)

Fall is here. Items of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and yes, even Christmas are already in many Department Stores. A coolness has come to the air. Snow up in the White Mountains, and up by Flagstaff (Arizona). The Big Trout are out and hungry. It is time once again for the annual Sno-Fly Midge Swap (wow, somewhere I missed Spring and Summer.......time flies fast). It is great Fly Tyers like you that have made Sno-Fly so well known all over the world, and a showcase for cutting edge Midge Patterns. I hope this year will be even more special and educational.

Midges in any stage and size (Larva, Pupa, Emerger, and Adult). Please toe tag your pattern with Pattern Name and Size, Your name and e-mail address, and send them in a self addressed stamped envelope (An addressed Bubble Mailer inside another Bubble Mailer). Make sure that your Midges are carefully packaged. Also include a recipe for your pattern.
    Deadline for sending your midges in is December 1st !!! There will be two of the boxes donated to Casting For Recovery, and Operation Healing Waters. I look forward to seeing some fantastic Midge patterns. I will PM my mailing address once the list of tyers is complete.

1. John Larson (Alpinefly...Swapmeister) Pattern TBA
    2. Rick Takahashi Crystal Chironomid Received
    3. Jerry Hubka UL RED RISER Received
    4. Gus Strand Pattern TBA Received
    5. Hortoncreek Pattern TBA Received
    6. Ian Christie flybox.co.uk Received
    7. Anthony Pattern TBA Received
    8 Avril Anjers (Reelsister) Pattern TBA Received
    9. Roy Christie Pattern TBA
    10. Andy Baird Pattern TBA
    11. Bighand Mimi Kink and size 20 Chironomid Received
    12. Jim Crain Miracle Midge Variant Received
    13. Donated Box To Casting For Recovery
    14. Donated Box To Operation Healing Waters

SWAP IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Alpinefly; 12-23-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Are there going to be photographs of the entries posted here?

Will you accept tenkara style flys?

My flys cost a lot, are you willing to pay?

(kidding, relax a little)

Sounds like fun.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Adam,
    Yes, there will be photos of all the Midges (we have tried to post excellent photos each year of all the midges, and the tyers are responsible to post the recipes). Yes, Tenkara style flies will be accepted, as long as they are representative of Midges in any stage of development. I am sure that there are many patterns that have been submitted over the years that cost a lot (& I am appreciative of each one of those patterns). I will make a comment, that one of the previous tyers of Sno-Fly makes at least $ 3000 a week on the Flies (insects) that he ties. Can anyone guess who this is ??? lol
    Would love to have you on board this year Adam !!! I promise, it will be fun, and you will get a great box of Sno-Flies for your effort !!!

Here is a midge from the very tyer I am speaking of. I would love to be making the money that he makes from his Insect creations !!!! This person is a master at tying !!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails midge-2-large.jpg  

WOW, awesome.

I will have to think about it before I commit.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Would that person be the newest member here?

Gus,
    No. That person I am speaking of is Graham Owen. I will put in a few Midge pics of Rick Takahashi and Jerry (Hubka) as well. Certainly they are superior as well (in a class all by themselves). This year will be the best yet, and I am sure will be very educational. I hope to see some Tenkara style midge fishing as well ( I do hope Adam will contribute and give us insight into the midge patterns and technique in fishing them). I am sure that Rick Takahashi also has some knowledge in this area, and I will try to contact Mikasa Ishimora (Co-Author Of Tenkara Fishing) to see if she would like to sign up and contribute some insight. I am very excited We have a lot of veterans of Past Sno-Fly Swaps who are also members of smallstreams.com that have some great Midge Patterns in the book, "Modern Midges" . I know that there are many more excellent tyers who are members of smallstreams.com who have yet to contribute to Sno-Fly.

Cool. Oh, and, I'm in.

Rick Takahashi Midge Emerger

Here is a Midge Emerger designed by Rick Takahashi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GetAttachment Rick Takahashi Midge.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.