Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mexico and Colorado, Spring Trip with Adam

Nice it looks like a good time. The Rio Grande look like yellowstone and westslope combined. Cool looking fish. When you guys fish tenkara, what happens if the fish runs? Do you run down or up stream with them? Adam that brown looks like he might like to take you on a journey. Glad you guys had a good time, Mems.

The fish always take me on a journey but fighting them is not like you think, a tenkara rod is sensitive an provides maximum tippet protection by the supple tip. You can feedback and apply pressure with good tell of just how much "stick" to give them.

I landed these fish as fast or faster than if I was fishing wit a reel. I was using 5 and 6x tippet with the same terminal tackle as a fly rod.

Indicating, set the hook, fish on and immediately hold maximum pressure, "steering" the fish upstream, always upstream. I had one get tangled in rootball but managed him free. The rod I was using, you could nest or collapse one section to shorten or lengthen the rod, that is an advantage.

I did not lose one fish, landed them quickly and with a healthy release. A new person might break off or worse, waste the fish fighting it.

Constant maximum pressure.

Two years now without a reel, not a tenkara purist, just enjoying learning it. You want to get good at something, that's what you do.
    Last edited by adam; 09-09-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    Awesome trip guys. I love those pics. Please do it again so I can enjoy it over and over.
    jeepster

Jeepster, it would be great to be able to share some water with you and DD...

I know you like to meet with mikeytwoshoes, nothing wrong with that but if it does not work out, let us know as far in advance and it will happen. S.Brooks and I will start planning in the late winter where the next trip is, I'm planning two trips next year with him, pretty much the same type of trip but different areas. We like to hike, I know you like to camp. I still want to do the Rio C. That would be good for you, no?

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    Hey adam. The rio c has been on my mind lately. Not for the big trip but just a couple days sometime this fall. Plan for next year and let me know. I've been going my own way at my own speed for a while now and it suits me and my back. No hikes, trip burners, or tough fishing days for me anymore. The rio g makes that happen.

Mikey couldn't make any trips this year. He needs to be picked up and dropped off and I'm living in the wrong city and drive a different route for that.
    jeepster

Thanks for sharing. I lived in Alamosa for 6 years, and spent quite a lot of time fishing the Conejos, its' many tributaries and wilderness high mountain lakes (as well as Archery Hunting for Deer & Elk). Many great times of wilderness Fly Fishing for those who want to take the time to explore. You can also take a ride on the Cumbres Toltec Railroad (a Narrow Guage Steam Engine) between Antonito (Colorado), and Chama (New Mexico) on the highest Mountain pass in North America. It will drop you off anywhere along the route that you may want to stop to explore and flyfish, and you can have the engine pick you up on the return trip (at least they used to do this for you when I lived there in Alamosa (1982-1989).

We saw the train and Brooks spoke about the possibility of that. Fishing via the train, so cool.

Jeepster, I know Brooks and I enjoy your company, we love the same area. I know you like being close to the stove. S.Brooks and I will keep this in mind and we will plan and let you know.

DD as well, where ever you are...

Alpinelfy,
    it sounds like living in alamosa you did get to really explore that country. nice.

Adam and Jeepster,
    count me in for a trip or two next year. that would be a blast. we could hit the rio c. it is a great area. we could then head over to the conejos if you guys wanted. jeepster, having that stove of yours around would be great, plus the company. lots of water to fish and sights to see.

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    Man, I love that country. There is so much water to explore. Brooktrout---you must have had a filter on for that first shot in the Caldera---such a deep, deep blue. Thanks for sharing the trip.

WOW! So much beautiful water & landscape my eyes hurt! Fantastic !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.