Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: bamboo

Have you tried rodbuildingforum.com? I want you to succeed but I don't have the time to help. I have so many irons in the fire. There are different gauges, you have to calibrate, your caliper for measuring needs to be in good order. Planing the first strips is a time for so many questions...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

I was really confused for a little while. I set my gauge to whatever # I wanted on the form and then measured with the caliber and came up with 2 different #'s. I move the strips on the form till they measured the right # on the calibers. My first butt section came out to small. So I plane another rod and set the form with the gauge and didn't worry to much about the calipers just made all the strips uniform and low and behold I put it together with tape and they where right what they where suppose to be. I was really confused for awhile. I just ordered a waara block for measuring purposes to make up the difference on the way the gauge is set up. I think I'm on the right track again. Waiting for glue to arrive to see what happens on the next challenge, the glueing of the strips. Can't wait to get get started. Thanks Adam for the advice.

At a minimum, you should be reading Cattanach's book. It is a simple formula for making bamboo rods his way. There are so many ways to do it but Wayne's book will break down each section to a layman's explanation of how to do each step including setting a form so that your strips will make the taper of your choice. This site, although it is all about fishing, and there are bamboo builders here, the site is about fishing. I used to "fish" in my mind while I made rods...

Rodbuildingforum.com has many makers there.

Take care, get Wayne's book and good luck.

I now have 4 rods completed and another couple in various stages. If I new how to post pictures I would do that. Maybe someone can help me out with that. I will probably have some for sale before long. They are really casting nicely.

Fred

We used to have a really nice set of buttons that helped you do everything really easy. Now you have to check the FAQ's and remember a bunch of code. Not everyone likes that and I believe we have lost some quality with the loss of the easy interface.

The interface to the forum, what the forum allows and helps you do took a major hit when we lost it in an upgrade.

So I apologize for the difficulty in the "ease of use" department.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.