Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bamboo

Gus too.

Gus is instrumental in this that those and the other thing.

Grassart, not easy to get in.

Not looking for members...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Still working on tools to get started. I got a few already. The biggest cost will be the planing form. I'm going to buy a Bellinger, I figure I will start out with the best. Finances a little tight right now. Hopefully will start planing dec. or jan.

I just started spliting a bamboo culm today. I getting ready to do all the prep work that required prior to planing. My planing form is ordered, I just don't know when I will receive it. It wasn't a very good culm alot of check splits all over the place. I will be lucky to get 2 butt sections out of the lower half. I didn't split the top half yet.

Fry
    Getting sarted collect tools with eldest son. Yep, cost does slow down the process! Where did you get the bamboo? Would you say to be cautious of quality and where you order from? We have been thinking of getting the bamboo from Andy Royer.

I bought a couple of culms from a local fly shop that went out of business. They had come from Andy Royer. I don't beleive they had put a check split in them because they are spliting all over the place. I found a builder I can buy a few culms from untill I get enough money together to buy a bundle and have shipped to a business here. I'm still in the learning process. I guess I will be there for awhile, its going to be a little more dificult than antisapated. But I will get it and so will you. I will keep updating progress but its a little slow for now.

Fry
    It certainly isn't an enterprise for the impatient, but all the little challenges are going to make it that much sweeter when we've got it down!

That is my attitude. I want to take my time to learn this craft properly. I want to take my time in collecting quality tools. At the same time, I want to take my time in crafting some quality rods (that is what it is all about). Just like fly tying and fly designing, it took years to get where I am now (and I am still learning).
    I also credit great people who took their time to mentor me along the way, and share their knowledge and talents. The best (and even legendary) Fly Fishermen & women, Fly Casters, Fly Tyers, and Rod Builders are also great teachers that are more then happy to share their talents and knowledge with others (Fly Fishing was and is called the "Gentleman's Sport"....not the Snobs Sport) !!!

I now have 2 rods rough planed and I have them ready for heat treating. Oven is just about completed. My planing form is being machine now. Hopefully will have by the end of the month. I've decided to go with Colorado Bootstrap planing form. They are made in New Mexico. The cost is a little less than the Bellinger. Oh well I will get there soon enough and be ready for spring fishing BWO's. One of the blanks is going to be 7' 4wt. granger taper and the other one is a 7'6" 5/6 wt. probably going to be a young taper. I already have a rod in mind for the next one. It sures is addicting.

Have you considered a PMQ? Here's my latest.
    Cheers,
    R

No thats another planing form, not in the budget now. Since my last post I have gotten 2 more rods ready to be heat treated. I've rough planed a 7' 3 piece and a 8' 2 piece 2 tip 6 wt. rod. Still waiting on the planing form. I'm thinking of going to the shop today and spliting another culm. Its addicting beside it give me some more practice at spliting bamboo strips and getting ready for another rod. I will keep informing on the progress of this project as when planing form gets here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.