Thread: Quick PNW report

Quick PNW report

Rivers in the PNW are all running almost a month behind in their flow rates (ie Aug 15th flows this year are the same level as historical July 15th flows) As a result, a number of rivers have only recently dropped into summertime shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sf2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	233

I decided to break out my 7'9" 3/2 4wt bamboo rod. Its a progressive med action light trout rod. weighing just 2 3/4 oz. total rod weight (solid hex, not hollowbuilt). Matched the rod up with an Orvis Madison & 4wt line & after getting a feel for the action of the rod, saw exactly what Dennis had described as “quick loading from just out the tiptop out to about 40 ft with delicate control of the fly throughout this range”. Delicate is a very good descriptor – the fly seems to lay down on the water like you dropped it about a foot above where it lands. What also impressed me were the tight small loops this rod throws. In fact I was ignoring the fish that were hitting my fly & all of a sudden saw my floating line running upstream with the rod’s first trout leaping into the air trying to throw the droppers. I loved the feel of this rod when there is a fish on. I could feel the head shakes & definitely enough backbone to handle the occasional bigger guys that lurk in the deeper runs.

Name:	sf3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	234

Cool Beans ! Don't you just love a great Fly rod!
    Last edited by flickfly; 08-30-2011 at 09:43 PM.

You have got to just love the feel of the boo and nice fish you got there.

Name:	stone 2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	245

Here's a picture of the rod...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.