Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Daughters first real fly fishing trip

My Daughters first real fly fishing trip

I took my Daughter to the upper xxxxxxxx river for her first real fly fishing trip. *We had a good outing and brought about two dozen to hand in three or so hours. *Most were in the 6 to 12" range with two around 16 which is a large fish for those parts. *Trinity and I got most of them on a Madam X, Stimulator and my foam Humpy pattern. *The two larger fish were taken on either a Bugger or leach. *It is one of my favorite places to fish and we did not see another person.... surprise huh. :) *

The water was perfect, not too low and still fairly cold. *Conditions could not have been better.

Great views all around. *Nothing like this high desert country.

Trinity with a couple fish

She missed at least four strikes to every fish but is starting to get it. *There were plenty of willing participants.

She found a nice place for lunch.

What a great day.

Welcome back Andrew. Dude - she's growing up!!!

This is how I remember her:

Ya, she is growing like a weed.

Fry
    Thanks for sharing the pics! That is such a special time in a Dad's life. Darned nice looking piece of water as well!

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    I'm sure that memory of that first real fishing trip will stay with her forever.....
    Nice post.

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    Future entomologist? That's some good looking water.

Nice pics.
    jeepster

In our country, girls are rather rare in this sport. Now I know how a woman flyfisher is born in the US!
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Thanks, she really likes that 3-4wt rod which is perfect for that stretch. I need to break out the boo next trip. My parents are taking all the grand kids camping this weekend so next weekend we are heading back to the river.

I'm really happy to see you have your little girl out on the water with you. I've got a 1 1/2 year old and she's been to the river with me a few times, mostly on my back in a covered carrier. When did you start getting her interested in the water and fishing? I'd love a little guidance. Did you ever carry her to the stream? I'm afraid to wade with her, so I only fish from the shore line when I've got her. She laughs and squirms whenever 'we' have a fish on. :)

Great photos, a lovely time, I'm sure.

Dave

Like you, she has been with me from a very young age. Most of the time when she was very young I would just let her play on the gravel bar and fish very close by. If I caught a fish great if not then we played in the creek. When she gets a little older take her to a spot with lots of panfish or anyplace the action is fast paced. Kids of a young age have a very short attention span and when they are done move on to something else. I always take the gps with me so she can fish/geocache/swim/explore/whatever else comes up(no video games though). She is old enough now we made a point of this being a fly fishing trip and she did very well. At one point after lunch she was just up stream of me and I hear her laughing and giggling as she floated by in the current...she took a break and went for a swim and thought it was pretty funny the way the current carried her by....no big deal as I caught fish around her. :)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.