Thread: There's a reason

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner

There's a reason

Fickle, maddening, enticing, alluring.....the big river. As Jeepster reported earlier this river gives up spectacular days of fishing for large trout in good numbers---Gold Medal in places. But most of those days seem to occur when I'm not around--often in late June. Hmmm....maybe it is my lack of skills. By the time I can get out, the fish have seen tons of fishermen, the major hatches are done, and even though it is August you still have to share the river with others. Of course there's always grasshoppers. Yesterday, in a one mile stretch I had to work around 6 other flyfishers. I wonder why I even bother with so many small, back country streams calling where I can fish all day without seeing a soul. Well there is a reason....

First run encountered from the trail in---shouldn't be any fish here since who knows how many others have fished it this morning...

Third cast on a grasshopper.

Maybe I've hit the mother lode....but no. Only hooked up three times over the next 2 hours with many flashes and attempts.

I moved on downstream and fished near one of the campgrounds. After a while I was able to find a stretch of stream between the various anglers and decided to switch to a streamer. Good choice.

After about 10 minutes of trying some deep pools, I drifted the streamer where the tail of a riffle swept up under a grassy bank. This rainbow hit hard and immediately took to the air. After a half a dozen leaps while hoping that I didn't screw up I was able to land this really beautiful fish. Really shouldn't have tried to hold on for a photo with one hand but I managed.

Of course she was only teasing. I didn't have another strike over the next hour and a half.

Yep, there's a reason to put up with the fickleness of big river.

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    Well done. I’m jonesing to be there right now even if the catching has tapered off. It looks like the monsoons have left and sunny days have put the hatches down. I agree it’s hopper time maybe with a dropper as well.
    jeepster

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Love the wide open spaces...beautiful fish....but the musical chairs with the other anglers I can do without .
    Well done, worth the effort.

Thank you for the beautiful pics.
    It's amazing you can still catch those great fish among many other fishermen. Most of our trout live in small mountain streams where a few fishermen are more than enough for a day.

Satoshi

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.