Thread: Floating the Green

Floating the Green

The highlight of my fishing adventures out West this summer was floating the Green out of Dutch John, Utah. With all the high water I knew this tailwater fishery would be in good shape. I booked a day with Doug Roberts of "Old Moe" outfitters, for myself and Luke.
    We got a cabin at Red Canyon Lodge and fished their private Lake the evening before.

Here is my wife, Joy out casting on their dock. We got a john boat and fished the evening rise.

Joy got this nice bow on the lake. Luke got a couple of fish including this tiger trout.

We went back to the dock and I tried to help my wife with her casting. I showed her how to haul and laid out a nice cast, just then a tiger trout hit my fly. My wife was a little disgusted, Luke said, "Wow Dad, way to show Mom how to do it".

It was my first tiger trout, kinda chunky looking guy. We had a nice fire and toasted some marshmellows, then we were off to sleep anxious about our adventure waiting for us on the Green.

We met Doug at the ramp and started down stream. The water was a little high, but still crystal clear. They don't call this the aquarium for nothing!

I gave Luke the bow first, and he went on a tear landing fish after fish. Here is one of his browns.

Then another, then another, then another, well you get the idea. Doug made sure to remind me that my son was kicking my ass. I was pretty proud and stoked.

And another, just to rub it in.

Finally I was on the board, a nice Brown.

Then a nice bow. It really got so crazy it was just fish after fish. All quality over 15 inches each, most in the 18-20 inch range. Luke was impressed, "Dad this place is sick!" We took a break for lunch with each of us over 30 fish a piece.

Doug set up a nice shore lunch for us. He is a great guide, but it is pretty easy to guide on this river. It is the most consistant tailwater I have fished out West. The scenery is beautiful and the fish are healthy strong and in abundant numbers. After Lunch and a nice cigar, it was back to the action.

Luke with another nice one.

And another, it was just silly. We switched from nymphs to streamers after lunch and pounded the banks. The highlight for me was this nice "DooDoo" Brown.

It was a great day, we floated both the "A" and "B" section, but were hurried off by an afternoon thunder storm. It was a great day and a wonderful way to finish off our trip. Joy stayed back at the cabin and caught two tiger trout on her own, so she was very proud and stoked, and didn't "need my help at all!"
    It was a great experience and a vacation that will have lasting memories. Nice to walk down that lane in my mind now. Mems.

Great!!
    I have heard of the Green river before, but I didn't know it had such a great number of big trout.
    I wish I could take my family to a fishing trip, but they (my wife and two girls) are never interested in fishing
    Anyway, thank you very much for posting!

Satoshi

The last time I checked the electro shock numbers for the A section between the dam and Little Hole it showed 14 - 16,000 fish per mile. This is truly one of the finest fisheries in the US.

Make that one of the finest in the world . Spent a week there about 16 years ago . It was like another plannet . Coyotes howling at night , an amazing scenery , and literally fish soup .

awesome trip and pics. where is a tiger trout native to?

Thank you for sharing your great fishing trip with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooktrout View Post
    awesome trip and pics. where is a tiger trout native to?
    Brooks, research it, that's the way to do it.

Mems, this was another cool family posting...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.