Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, how far do you travel to the stream?

Well, how far do you travel to the stream?

Be interesting to compare the distances you all travel to your favourite streams all over the globe, some of you seem to travel quite a distance in the USA.

Me? My travelling range is between 5 miles to 70 miles max, mostly 5-20 miles is the norm.

Bill

The nearest trout stream is within walking distance from the house. My home waters are all within 45 miles. Within that distance I have hundreds of miles of streams to choose from.

On a rare occasion I will meet up with a friend or friends on their favorite streams for a long weekend, within 150 miles of home.

The closest stream that I fish is right behind my house, about 200 feet or so. :) Most of the other streams I fish are within 15 miles, but I have fished several streams about 150 miles from home on occasion.

Dave

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    If we are talking trout streams, I regularly fish several streams in the Missouri Ozarks that are 200 to 275 miles from home. I have even been known to do that in a single day. My favorite trout streams are in southern Colorado and are more like 750 miles from home. I don't fish there unless I have a minimum of 5 days.

smallstreams.com plankowner martin_b's Avatar
    I regularly fish the trout stream that flows right behind my house; it's a nice little stream that provides brown trout and sea run browns as well as salmon. It's not the best stream in the area, but it's a so close by that it allows me to have a rod in hand pretty much daily. It's my stream and i like it a lot even though there a better streams around.
    I drive about 30 km (19 miles) a couple of times a week to fish some of the more productive waters - but there is something about my home stream (which I have pretty much all to myself) that has made me fall in love with it. I have come to know it very well over the last two years and pretty much never walk away from it fishless.

Martin

Walking distance to my local streams (they're also my favourite streams) and I may venture up to 40, miles occasionally for a change of venue! We are truly spoiled for choice! There's some extremely good fishing right here on our door-step.

For me its at least an hours drive ,and thats for expensive trout fishing and somewhat less expensive grayling fishing.
    to get to value fishing takes two or more hours to reach.
    this causes conumdrums ,if i am going to go so far why not fish for salmon instead of trout,or why not travel less and fish the float tube or a drifty boat .
    Its all a balance of time (working a 6 day week),family commitments ,caring for my garden ,where my friends are fishing ,finance (cost of permit and motor fuel) .

Have to travel an hour and a half over the speed limit the whole way with no traffic and no hold-up at the border to reach the closest trout stream. Have a new baby, big old house that needs lots attention and non-fly fishing friends but can no longer help myself. The winters in Quebec are pretty much 7 months long so its worth it. For example thinking of going after work Wednesday (3 hours drive for 2 hours of fishing with work early the next day? Yes.). Furthest yet would be 6 hrs to the salmon rivers of northern Quebec and 12 hours to northern Ontario.

My closest creek is about 40 miles. It holds a lot of fish mostly dinks to 8" fish.My home water that I have to myself is about 45 miles and holds fish in the 12" to 18" fish. there are a couple in the 50 mile range.Unfortunately here in southern California there are creeks where you don't want to leave your car and fish all day,not much of your car will be there when you get back.I usually drive up to the eastern sierras about 4 hours. Some of the best fishing in CA.

In normal, I fish for about 30-50 miles :) I just do fishing every weekends.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.