Thread: Camp Cooking

Camp Cooking

In my profile, I put down that I like to camp and that I like Dutch Oven cooking. Here's one of my favorite camp recipes. It's called Dutch Oven Pizza Lasagna.

Ingredients:
    12” 3 legged Dutch Oven
    Kingsford Briquettes
    1 box (16 ounces.) Lasagna Noodles
    1 jar (26 ounces.) Italian sauce
    1 pound hamburger
    1 pound Italian sausage
    ½ pound fresh sliced pepperoni
    1 small can sliced black olives
    1 small can sliced mushrooms
    Chopped green pepper
    1 package shredded Mozzarella cheese
    1 package sliced Provolone cheese

Precook the Lasagna noodles till aldenti (1/2 done), and store in cold water till ready to use.
    Precook the hamburger and Italian sausage separately.
    Add to the bottom of the Dutch about a 1/5th of each ingredient and top with 3 Lasagna noodles. Repeat 5 times. Each time I add noodles to the dutch, I change the direction they lay. If you go north and south with the first layer, go east and west with the next. This helps to hold the entrée together when served.

When the briquettes are ready to use, spread about 20-24 briquettes on your cooking surface. Place the dutch on the briquettes and ring the lid with enough to go all the way around the lid while touching each other. Put about 4-5 briquettes in the center of the lid.

Cooking time is about 1 hour. This dish served 6 people with enough left over for 1 serving of cold pizza-lasagna the next morning. If you like cold pizza as a snack, you'll like this dish too.

FROM THE DUTCH OVEN OF LOTECH JOE
    Last edited by Lotech Joe; 05-22-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Very cool. We don't camp much since moving to TX - the season is a few weeks in the spring and fall. When we lived in Medford we camped a whole lot, and even before that when we lived up in Sandpoint as well for a while. My parents lived in Medical Lake. Well sort of. They lived on Silver Lake... They retired to Corvallis, though...

Quote Originally Posted by gusstrand View Post
    Very cool. We don't camp much since moving to TX - the season is a few weeks in the spring and fall. When we lived in Medford we camped a whole lot, and even before that when we lived up in Sandpoint as well for a while. My parents lived in Medical Lake. Well sort of. They lived on Silver Lake... They retired to Corvallis, though...
    That's OK Gus. The recipe works in your driveway also. My driveway is gravel, and I've used it more than once. One day maybe I'll share my Dutch Oven Cornish Game Hen recipe.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.